Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Optics Cassegrain telescope C 203/2436 OTA

Hi,  I am looking to move into a telescope dedicated to planets only.

I guess what i am looking for is something that will give the best crisp / clear images through the eyepiece.

I have a large Dobsonian,  and while they are very good at letting in the light,  i think i can possibly get better visual images with a dedicated scope.

I was looking at the TS Optics Cassegrain telescope C 203/2436 OTA  or the Skywatcher 180/2700

I am hoping some here might be able to offer a bit of advise on what would be best,  it doesn't have to be any of these two i have listed,  that is only what i have came up with so far.

Would really like be able to see the rings of Saturn a tad more crisper i guess you could say.

All depending on viewing conditions of course.

Any suggestions / help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply,  so you would definitely say it would outperform the 180/2700 on visually viewing the planets?

I am also up for any other suggestions that might be better suited,  unless i have already narrowed it down to the best options.

What dobsonian do you have ?

They can provide pretty good planetary views. I was rather surprised when I first got an 8 inch F/6 dobsonian (GSO) in that it delivered better planetary views than my C8 SCT was !

My current 12 inch F/5.3 dob gives stunning views of the planets when they are nicely placed.

The CC does give better views on the moon and planets than the 180 with better resolution and detail and will take higher magnification as well. 

A Takahashi Mewlon would be a bit better but at a price. ££££££. One of the now discontinued Intes maks would also be good but getting hard to find. The CC is a great buy though.

I would chose the Cassegrain over the Maksutov for three reasons...

1. The CC had Quartz optics.

2. The CC has an open front so no dewing and better cool down.

3. The CC had an independent focuser so no image shift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the replies,  I did think of the Skywatcher Black Diamond ED120/900 also,  but haven't really heard that much about them in regards to planetary viewing.

I currently have a 16 Dobsonian,  quiet large and give good views,  But was hoping to find something that will give better fine detail viewing,  more of a dedicated Planetary viewing scope if that makes sense.

A 16” dob should give great planetary views but isn’t the smallest scope to move about.

A CC on a Skytee II mount would make a very nice setup and easy to move around and easy to take to a dark sky site.

Edited by johninderby

I would also suggest a tracking mount also. Does not have to be goto. This allows not having to touch the scope/mount to often, and keep eyeballing the Planet. True Planet observation requires per-longed study at the eyepiece to squeeze out detail.

Now I'm sure you may already be aware of this... so I'm not trying to offend here. You may also already have a tracking mount?. Just think it should be more considered than a manual AZ

Rob

Yes,  my Dobsonian is on a goto mount.

I was looking to use something like the Skywatcher AZ EQ6 mount.

Looking more like the first choice i came up with might be the best option,  the TS Optics Cassegrain telescope C 203/2436 OTA.

Plenty of time to do research,  just thought it would be best to ask opinions first,  and very much appreciate them.

Dobsonian are great,  but more suited for DSO,  but then again,  i could be wrong,   

Always found great advice on here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluesilver said:

Yes,  my Dobsonian is on a goto mount.

I was looking to use something like the Skywatcher AZ EQ6 mount.

Looking more like the first choice i came up with might be the best option,  the TS Optics Cassegrain telescope C 203/2436 OTA.

Plenty of time to do research,  just thought it would be best to ask opinions first,  and very much appreciate them.

Dobsonian are great,  but more suited for DSO,  but then again,  i could be wrong,   

Always found great advice on here.

AZ EQ6 sounds like a great plan. Would carry the C203 perfectly!.. You would have a fine Planetary setup there. Next stop .... eyepieces :)

• Thanks 1

Can i ask how the TS Optics Cassegrain C 203/2436 holds collimation?

Dose it need to be collimated as often as the Dobsonian do,  or dose it hold fairly well?

It won't be left setup,  it will be removed from the mount and stored after each viewing sesion.

Thanks.

Checked colimation when I bought it and  haen’t had to colimate it yet and I store the OTA in a closet when not in use.

Here is the manual for the Orion version. Same scope except for the colur and a coiple of acessories.The stock focuser is OK and quite usable although not as niceas a Badder Steetrack.

https://nimax-img.de/Produktdownloads/62478_1_Anleitung-EN.pdf

Edited by johninderby