Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Plastic shed

Leewfc

Hi I just wondered if anyone uses a small plastic shed as a bit of an office whilst doing astro photography. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving £3000 of equipment that I have just purchased outdoors without being close. I've not long got over cancer so have to be extra careful during the winter with the freezing cold. Ive looked at observatories but they are out my price range. I've tried to pick up a cheap second hand one but not having no luck at present. So I'm thinking about a small plastic shed just to be able to put a laptop stand and chair in. I will not be leaving equipment in over night but just need a bit of shelter and base for laptop and cases whilst outside. Also an access point for power supply. Any advice would be appreciated thank you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leewfc said:

Hi I just wondered if anyone uses a small plastic shed as a bit of an office whilst doing astro photography. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving £3000 of equipment that I have just purchased outdoors without being close. I've not long got over cancer so have to be extra careful during the winter with the freezing cold. Ive looked at observatories but they are out my price range. I've tried to pick up a cheap second hand one but not having no luck at present. So I'm thinking about a small plastic shed just to be able to put a laptop stand and chair in. I will not be leaving equipment in over night but just need a bit of shelter and base for laptop and cases whilst outside. Also an access point for power supply. Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Have a search in the DIY observatories section, a few Keter plastic sheds in there.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A Keter shed should suit you well, they come with an internal thick plastic floor and are pretty warm. I use mine to store a couple of dobsonian, been up for 6 years just free standing on slabs. No leaks or problems. Double doors on mine so easy to get kit in and out. Took about 2 hours to erect, mostly just working out where everything went.

Linton

Another pluspoint for Keter products is their aftersales service. I have a couple of storeage units- a double wheelie bin shed and a smaller recycling box store.

Since I bought the wheelie bin shed, I have had a broken latch and a worn out hinge/ gas strut. In both cases, once I contacted Keter, replacments were sent out free of charge. Great service.

• Like 1

Before I built a ror observatory, I used a tool shed as a roll away obsy. Have a look at the first post in this thread.

You could do something similar, and use the shed to house you and your computer, while imaging. It would be easy to install a fold down table in such a shed.

Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...