NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting a new finder shoe. Blanking the screw holes.

Hi,

I've recently bought a new finder to replace the plasticky little one that came with the Bresser 8" dob. The recommended  shoe is the Baader universal, which I have too,

The Baader has 3 screw holes. The shoe I have removed have 4 in a square layout. I can either use two width-ways, or just a single one, and use the middle hole in the Baader. I prefer the latter, because it means I can shift the shoe across slightly, and leave room for the new Telrad. The Telrad also then covers 2 of the remaining open holes. See pictures below. Otherwise, the Telrad won't fit in the gap left between the Baader shoe and the focuser.

So I have 2 options: stick with what you see in the picture, or use 2 screws to hold the new shoe and replace the Telrad with a Rigel Quikfinder.

Either way, I need to fill in the remaining open 6mm hole(s). Also, the screws and nuts that were fixing the old shoe are too narrow/long for the Baader - I don't fancy them sticking over 12mm into the tube, especially as the screws are shiny silver. The nuts are black though, but M4, whereas the Baader really needs M5.

So eventually got to the point of the post. Advice, please:

1) I can get the correct M5 bolts in various configurations, but can't find any black M5 nuts available in small volumes. Any anyone suggest a suitable source for black M5 nuts? Otherwise I'll be painting them in place - and I don't fancy that.

2) Has anyone had any luck using grommets or blanking plugs to close these holes? Or should I be looking at very short bolts?

Thanks.

IMG_20200621_021720872.jpg

IMG_20200621_021755049.jpg

Edited by Pixies

2 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I've just used some white electrical tape on the outside and flocking the inside has covered the holes on the inside. 

That will get my OCD going! Although the internal flocking sounds like a good idea. Can one get small amounts, otherwise I'll be on the 'wanted' page?

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

That will get my OCD going! Although the internal flocking sounds like a good idea. Can one get small amounts, otherwise I'll be on the 'wanted' page?

I bought mine in Wilko. It's one of the sticky back plastic rolls, somewhere in the home or decorating section for about £5 a roll. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2020 at 16:55, Pixies said:

Just use a black marker on the inside of the covered hole. 

Edited by johninderby

I've used plastic screw hole plugs. These particular items are only 3mm long so there's minimal intrusion into the tube. Unfortunately the holes are approx 4.5mm wide, so 5mm plugs were too big and 4mm too small. A spot of UHU glue under the rim of the 4mm plugs solved it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hole-Plugs-Plastic-Blanking-Masking-Finishing-Inserts-Black-or-White/221966702893?pageci=be63eb65-57ce-416a-aa69-0ae985792d52

IMG_20200623_193831064.thumb.jpg.da46ac2ffa867e3e0fcbd789d292fe00.jpg

• Like 1