NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ioptron AZ Pro - No GPS

kerrylewis

I have an Ioptron AZ Pro mount which has worked flawlessly since I bought it. However it is now not picking up GPS and the handset shows GPS ON but does not switch to GPS OK. The date and time are therefore wrong (it defaults to a 2013 date) and therefore it does not find objects correctly.

I initially thought that I was too close to buildings perhaps but I have tried other locations in the garden without success.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Kerry 

2 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

I have an Ioptron AZ Pro mount which has worked flawlessly since I bought it. However it is now not picking up GPS and the handset shows GPS ON but does not switch to GPS OK. The date and time are therefore wrong (it defaults to a 2013 date) and therefore it does not find objects correctly.

I initially thought that I was too close to buildings perhaps but I have tried other locations in the garden without success.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Kerry 

Hello Kerry

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your mount. Lets hope you get it fixed soon.

Just had a quick look around on some astro sites and found that there have been a few problems with Ioptron mounts and their GPS system.

Here is a link you could check out:  https://www.theskysearchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=6059

Take care and best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Edited by hadyn42
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

Hello Hadyn

Thanks for your reply. I've also had a quick response from Ioptron technical support and they suggest a couple of things which I will try

Take care

Kerry 

Firmware version upgrades?

• Like 1

Seems to be sorted - fingers crossed.

I followed Ioptron’s advice and replaced the batteries in the handset- which I’d never done. This keeps the clock correct even without GPS.

I then opened up the mount and made sure that the connecting cable for the GPS module  was secure at both ends and, hey presto, everything seems to be ticketty boo. 😀

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

Seems to be sorted - fingers crossed.

I followed Ioptron’s advice and replaced the batteries in the handset- which I’d never done. This keeps the clock correct even without GPS.

I then opened up the mount and made sure that the connecting cable for the GPS module  was secure at both ends and, hey presto, everything seems to be ticketty boo. 😀

I didn't even know there was a battery in the handset.  I'll know to check this if I experience problems with my own AZ Pro mount.

I'm glad that you got the problem sorted out.

Ade

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I didn't even know there was a battery in the handset.  I'll know to check this if I experience problems with my own AZ Pro mount.

I'm glad that you got the problem sorted out.

Ade

Yes Ade, the main reason for posting my experience is for the benefit of others who might have similar problems. I had assumed that any power to the handset came from the mount. I think the small battery is only there for the clock. Ioptron quote a life of two years so worth checking if you’ve had the mount a while. 

45 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Yes Ade, the main reason for posting my experience is for the benefit of others who might have similar problems. I had assumed that any power to the handset came from the mount. I think the small battery is only there for the clock. Ioptron quote a life of two years so worth checking if you’ve had the mount a while. 

That's much appreciated, I've followed the thread so I can find it again in the future.

I'd assumed exactly the same as you about the power. My mount was new last Nov so I've got a bit of time yet, I hope.

Thanks again, Ade