Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation for a newbie

So after a few posts and comments on another thread (what did the postman bring) thought I would get some advice here. I know there's lots in this forum about this already, but thought best to post how my scope looks presently before attempting collimation. 

The image below shows what it looks like looking through the collimation cap. Now what is out of line... The primary or secondary mirror? 🤔

IMG_20200618_164519.jpg

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

That's spot on now.

This has been the thing that Has freaked me out, but so much simpler than I thought 😊 phew... 

Now The darn red dot finder - so far off and won't go Left or up anymore 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

This has been the thing that Has freaked me out, but so much simpler than I thought 😊 phew... 

Now The darn red dot finder - so far off and won't go Left or up anymore 

Maybe try loosening and moving the finder shoe a little

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, haitch said:

Maybe try loosening and moving the finder shoe a little

Doesn't seem to work at all. Pretty off regardless. I'll have another play at some point but it's a pain in the behind lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Doesn't seem to work at all. Pretty off regardless. I'll have another play at some point but it's a pain in the behind lol

I had to file out the fixing holes with a small rat tail file to line mine up but was pretty ********** to start with.

Dave

finder-1.png.eb92b0b04e6a59d65516f93865522cf6.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dannomiss said:

I'm on about loosening the screw(s) that attach the shoe to the tube itself. So if you undo the 2 thumbscrews and take off the finder there'll be 1 or 2 screws fixing the base to the tube - I think that's your only option for getting it straight enough. Generally speaking that type are half decent RDFs.

2 minutes ago, John said:

Looks like the finder is skewed as far as it will go in the azimuth axis. Is it jammed there ?

No I've turned the azimuth axis as far as it will go and up as much as it will go and still not centred in the image 

53 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

No I've turned the azimuth axis as far as it will go and up as much as it will go and still not centred in the image 

How far away was your target ?

Thats fine.

So the range of movement of the finder just isn't enough by the sound of it. On a different scope the next step would be to adjust the position of the finder bracket on the scope but it does not look like that is possible with the design used on the Heritage 150 - it's a simple rail that the finder clamps onto by the look of it ?

Also, sorry - I was looking at Dave's RDF but in principle I was talking the same issue that John is trying to resolve for you. It looks like the holes in your tube are too far out to be able get it lined up.