NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi all, 

I’ve just got all of my new gear for my first AP rig, but with the addition of a guiding setup, I’ve ran out of USB ports on my laptop.

Because of this, I’m looking for a USB hub that I can use in the field. My understanding is that a powered one is more reliable and is a better choice than an unpowered hub.

I know that the Startech one is highly regarded, but I don’t think I can warrant spending £50 on a USB hub. I was wondering if this one might work? If not I may end up going for the Startech one.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

21 minutes ago, Wyvernp said:

I cheaped out on my USB hub and bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DWEQGIK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_PH56Eb06JA5EJ although I had to power it for it to work properly.  Probably wouldn't recommend one as I may have just gotten lucky with mine but I run both cameras and mount through it with no issues.

Thanks for the reply, that hub looks good; how did you power it? 

6 minutes ago, Wyvernp said:

Thanks for the explanation, seems pretty straightforward. I’ll probably give this a go :smile:

I have two Dlink powered USB hubs on a dual rig, as far as I can tell they have never been a source of comms problems, but they are on a permanent set up inside an observatory, which certainly helps.

• Thanks 1

For astro stuff, you should generally opt for a powered one as many astro gear takes its power from the hub. If the drain on the master's power hub gets above 500mA, the master usually shuts down the usb port.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uhb1966 said:

For astro stuff, you should generally opt for a powered one as many astro gear takes its power from the hub. If the drain on the master's power hub gets above 500mA, the master usually shuts down the usb port.

1 hour ago, uhb1966 said:

Thanks everyone for the responses, I’ll go for a powered hub and run it off my power tank.