SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

red LED headlamp

Hi everyone

after fumbling around in the garden last night we realised we need some kind of illumination. Can anyone suggest a decent red LED headlamp. Are the ones form Amazon any good?

Many thanks and all the best

D

• Like 1

Black Diamond, Cosmo 225.

Adjustable output, has a red output.
When switched on it defaults to last setting used, so if on red, stays on red.

But do be aware you tend to look at others when you speak, a weakness of a head lamp!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Black Diamond, Cosmo 225.

Adjustable output, has a red output.
When switched on it defaults to last setting used, so if on red, stays on red.

But do be aware you tend to look at others when you speak, a weakness of a head lamp!

Thanks so much for your tips

cheers

D

• Thanks 1

More about the Black Diamond headlamps from what I posted before.

"I'd strongly advise you go for a headlamp that has separate switches for white and red light, plus the ability to dim the light right down.  The former is important as sooner or later you'll turn the white light on and ruin your dark adaption.  The latter is important because nearly all headlamps are way too bright.

By far the best I've found are some of the 2019 Black Diamonds.  Confusingly, although the model name (but not the number) remains the same, many have been totally redesigned for 2019 with two buttons instead of just one.

One of the great things about them is that only the larger button turns the headlamp on; the smaller button just changes from red to white, but nothing happens when you press it if the headlamp is off. 

Additionally, they remember the last setting you used before turning off.  For instance, if you finished with the red light at its dimmest setting, that's what you get when you turn it back on.

Set up like this it means that it's impossible to turn anything on at the start but the dimmest red light - whatever button you push.

Not all the 2019 Black Diamond two button range are suitable for us though.  Some of them have battery check LEDs that light up when you first switch on.  The problem is they're bright blue!  Also note that the poorly-named Astro model doesn't have a red light.

I started by buying two models, the Cosmo 225 and the Spot Lite 160, that use 3AAA and 2AAA batteries respectively.  The numbers represent the max. brightness in lumens.

Surprisingly, the red light on the Cosmo 225 goes dimmer than that on the Spot Lite 160, although this may just be a sample variation.  The former is also on special offer at the moment because a new model, the Cosmo 250 has just been launched, that seems to be identical but has a higher output.  I've just tested this, and comparing all 3 with fresh disposable batteries the 250 is indeed slightly brighter on full power white light than the 225, but there isn't much in it.  On the dimmest red light the 225 and 250 are exactly the same.  So any of the 3 models are fine for astronomy.

There were complaints about older versions of these products having a weak closure on the battery compartments.  This appears to be rectified nicely in the new models that have a firm, precise click action.  I'd add that, here in Europe at least, these Black Diamonds have a 3 year guarantee.  That doesn't of course prove anything, but they're expected to last at least that long.

These headlamps should also be suitable for my fishing and camping as they have a waterproof rating of IPX8.  This means that they can work for at least 30 minutes submerged to a depth of 1.1 metres (3 1/2 feet).  However do note the battery compartment itself isn't waterproof and will need drying out.

So for the first time I'm satisfied with a headlamp for astronomy and can thoroughly recommend these 3 Black Diamond headtorches.   They're also very reasonably priced.

Do check though that you're buying the latest 2 button models.  Many outlets are still selling the similar 1 button type that's not good for us.  For instance Amazon UK even has a picture of a 2 button Cosmo but the description suggests it's the old 1 button model.

For the special offer Cosmo 225 go to https://www.trailblazeroutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-equipment/lighting/black-diamond-cosmo-225-headlamp-dark-olive"

However, as Kluson said, don't wear a headlamp when with others as the light will shine into their eyes.  Instead, carry it in your hand like a torch.  That way a headlamp is dual-purpose.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your advice Steve, . I had already ordered from Amazon before I saw this last post. It arrived today. I have not yet opened the product packaging. I can see that the top of the unit has a large oblong button? and a smaller round one. Is this the right one. I can always send it back to Amazon. there is no rush as our Dew shield has not yet arrived

I wish you clear skies

D

31 minutes ago, Kluson said:

Thanks so much for your advice Steve, . I had already ordered from Amazon before I saw this last post. It arrived today. I have not yet opened the product packaging. I can see that the top of the unit has a large oblong button? and a smaller round one. Is this the right one. I can always send it back to Amazon. there is no rush as our Dew shield has not yet arrived

I wish you clear skies

D

The large oblong button is the on/off switch.  Additionally, holding it down varies the brightness. The small round button varies the colour.

So yes, you've got the new, better model.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

The large oblong button is the on/off switch.  Additionally, holding it down varies the brightness. The small round button varies the colour.

So yes, you've got the new, better model.

Phew, That's great  - Thanks so much for the advice

wish you clear skies

D

• Like 1