NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good to see jupiter and saturn

Been watching both of them as well

Left home for work around 4-30am the other morning, beautiful dark clear skies, with Jupiter, Saturn, Mars

Had CRUX, along with Scorpio as well overhead

Have a Bortle 3-4  where I am

John

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dannomiss said:

Great to see jupiter and saturn after an almighty thunderstorm. Nothing spectacular as don't have telescope yet, but nice to have a clear night to start my journey into astronomy 😁

IMG_20200614_012440.jpg

Did you get to see the 4 Galilean  moons in the 10x50s? It's a sight I never get tired of.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Had CRUX, along with Scorpio as well overhead

Still trying to get my head around the night sky, it's a kind field 😊 so far identified:

1. Star archurus but haven't quite worked out bootes constellation

2. 3 Stars from the plough (ursa major) but couldn't connect the others stars 

3. Ursa minor looking north

3. Vega

4. Parts of Aquilla

5. Plenty of satalites

I know it's nothing compared to so many on this forum, but really pleased to start identifying stars. Need to just get to a darker place😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

Did you get to see the 4 Galilean  moons in the 10x50s? It's a sight I never get tired of.

I didn't no. Not sure I would be able too with my eyes unfortunately which is a shame, but once I have telescope that will help... But it maybe also because I wasn't looking for them, so will try again for sure 😊😁

But I am Pleased with the 10x50s and even in light polluted area its amazing how much more stars I can see with them as opposed to just looking with naked eye 

Try to pick up the keystone of Hercules which will be to the right (preceding) of Vega. Now using binoculars find the upper right of the four stars, then from this star look to its lower right and you should see a small fuzzy ball, this is M13 a bright globular cluster. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dannomiss said:

Still trying to get my head around the night sky, it's a kind field 😊 so far identified:

1. Star archurus but haven't quite worked out bootes constellation

2. 3 Stars from the plough (ursa major) but couldn't connect the others stars 

3. Ursa minor looking north

3. Vega

4. Parts of Aquilla

5. Plenty of satalites

I know it's nothing compared to so many on this forum, but really pleased to start identifying stars. Need to just get to a darker place😊

Been in the Southern Hemisphere, we see things not visible in the from the Northern Hemisphere and vice versa

Even with Orion, the belt of Orion is the opposite way around, and the belt is also know as saucepan, including the handle

In Australian Indigenous astronomy, the belt of Orion is also known as the canoe

John

• Like 1

Last week after a thunderstorm it cleared the air making viewing incredible. Another good thing that morning was it was very still.

Been some time since I could make out some details on Saturn and the Cassini division. 

And yes, the four Galilean moons are amazing to see. If you haven't read up on them, check them out. Its amazing they are moving so fast around a planet so large.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 07:07, Dark Vader said:

Before I got the scope out on Friday night, I did view Jupiter and Saturn in my 8x56 binoculars and yes the four moons where very visible, although at first I thought there were just two (as they were paired up). Really lovely to see even at a relatively low magnification 😀

• Like 2

Thats a lovely sight. I've not seen them paired up like that before so had a look on Sky Safari. My last view of them was 2 each side on June 2nd (below) It amazes me how fast they orbit. I tried to get my son out of bed for a look but he wasn't having any of it. 🙄

Screenshot_20200602-094037_SkySafari 6 Plus.jpg

• Like 1

No worries. Version I use is 6plus. Costs a couple of quid. There's a free version as well.

One of the functions is you can display a circled field of view to match the view through your bins. Very useful, however I can't currently remember how to set it due to alcohol consumption 😂

Screenshot_20200601-063916_SkySafari 6 Plus.jpg

Ha! I know all about trying to find the section to display the FOV on the screen. It took me ages to find it! You go to 'Observe' -> 'Equipment', then add your scope, bins, EPs, etc.

Then 'Observe' -> 'Scope display', and add the FOV indicator from the list you created above. 

Now you can also use 'Observe' -> 'Scope display' to select which FOV indicators to display on the starfield. Note - you will need to select 'Show even if not connected to telescope'.  You can also add Telrad circles, which is very helpful for starhopping (if you have a Telrad, obviously).

Here's my display with Telrad circles (red) and the FOV of my 18mm Starguider on a 8" Bresser Dob:

Screenshot_20200616-084816.png

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 11:17, Dannomiss said:

I didn't no. Not sure I would be able too with my eyes unfortunately which is a shame, but once I have telescope that will help... But it maybe also because I wasn't looking for them, so will try again for sure 😊😁

But I am Pleased with the 10x50s and even in light polluted area its amazing how much more stars I can see with them as opposed to just looking with naked eye 

The first time I saw them, I wasn't looking for them and I thought they were some kind of reflection problem with the binoculars. If you are doing it hand-held, they can be hard to make out. If you can get the bins stable on something (tripod especially) you should see them pretty clearly on 10x50s

• Like 1

You go to 'Observe' -> 'Equipment',then add your scope, bins, EPs, etc.

Then 'Observe' -> 'Scope display', and add theFOV indicator from the list you created above. 

Yep, that's the one.... 😁

DV

Edited by Dark Vader
Hangover

12 minutes ago, Dark Vader said:

You go to 'Observe' -> 'Equipment',then add your scope, bins, EPs, etc.

Then 'Observe' -> 'Scope display', and add theFOV indicator from the list you created above. 

Yep, that's the one.... 😁

DV

Had some coffee now?  😉

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Looks like there's one for £6.49 and £18.99

Screenshot_20200616_100018.jpg

I'd say go with Plus.

Pro gives you "Astronomy League Supernova and Quasar Database" plus purchase options fro some big databases. The comparison chart is here: https://www.skysafariastronomy.com/

the free one doesn't give you teh POV stuff. Neither does it have the observing lists, which are REALLY useful!

• Like 1