Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newtonian optics quality control

Definitely return it to the shop.
Do let us know in the supplier review section how the seller puts things right.

Anyone can sell a sub standard item. It is how they put things right that separates the good suppliers from those to avoid.

David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.

The dealer will not send a replacement mirror but has sent a return shipping label for the whole telescope. Communication is very difficult with weeks and several messages before a reply is sent.

I'm not sure if I should post a negative supplier review. Most of our stuff is second hand or just left here by visitors; I'm not used to taking new items out of the box but for the sanity of you all, I'm glad that this is not the norm.

Cheers

To be fair to the supplier, presuming the scope is from a mainstream manufacturer such as Synta, Mead, etc,  the supplier has no knowledge of the condition of the mirror as it's only going to be visible if the mirror cell is removed as is the case here.  The issue is a lack of quality control at the manufacturer.

If the supplier has raised an RMA and sent you a returns label, arranges collection, and ships you a replacement (hopefully one they have checked themselves to ensure the fault isn't consistent in the batch) then they have resolved the situation to the best of their ability and well within your consumer rights.  If the replacement scope has the same issue then you would be well within your rights to return that, again at the suppliers expense, and this time have a refund for the full cost.   

If the scope was purchased via a website then you als have additional rights under the distant selling regulations and can return it for any reason for a full refund provided you notify the supplier of the fault or reason (it can be any reason, even if you don't like the colour) within a set number of days (I'm not a legal expert, but believe its 14 days).  The only issue here is if the supplier is not based in the UK

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, malc-c said:

If the scope was purchased via a website then you als have additional rights under the distant selling regulations and can return it for any reason for a full refund provided you notify the supplier of the fault or reason (it can be any reason, even if you don't like the colour) within a set number of days (I'm not a legal expert, but believe its 14 days).  The only issue here is if the supplier is not based in the UK

I'm assuming that's a UK law rather than an EU "law"?  The OP's location is Alicante which is apparently in Spain.  Who knows where it was purchased from.

I'm curious to know what brand of Dob that is.  The main two manufacturers are Synta (SW) and GSO (Revelation) with JOC possibly making Bresser.

It looks to me like that damage may have occurred in transit. Some of the damage areas look about 120° apart from each other, which suggests that perhaps there was enough space between the mirror and mirror clip supports for the mirror to move. Then, somewhere between the factory and delivery, it has been rattled around hard enough to knock chunks out of the mirror. 

Also, depending on the manufacturer, they might be quicker at responding than the supplier (although as they have already sent the shipping label, it is probably best to use that route). 

45 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'm assuming that's a UK law rather than an EU "law"?  The OP's location is Alicante which is apparently in Spain.  Who knows where it was purchased from.

I'm curious to know what brand of Dob that is.  The main two manufacturers are Synta (SW) and GSO (Revelation) with JOC possibly making Bresser.

Its EU law... Spain has 14 day distance selling rules.

The only grey area is that the OP has dismantled the scope which may affect their rights

54 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Just googled 203mm reflector and nearly all the results came back as an Orion, but most were GEMs not Dobs... so it's anyone's guess :)