Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography Camera

Hi guys

So I've recently been enjoying visual astronomy, and plan to stick with this for the foreseeable future, however I also wanted to get into photography in general, nature etc, however I wanted to get a camera that in future could also be used for astrophotography, as i feel getting a basic understanding of visual astronomy + normal photography would give me a good amount of knowledge to eventually progress to astrophotography when I have the money.

My question is, what's a good beginner DSLR camera that could be used for normal photography and in future with astrophotography

Currently i've been looking at this (this is also around my budget): https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-2000d-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-lens-backpack-sd-card/2728C045/

And this: https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-4000d-body-ef-s-18-55mm-iii-lens/3011C006/

Thankyou

Edited by Cuto100200

I can't comment on the more recent models of Canon cameras, but I should mention that normal photography is quite a different kettle of fish to astrophotography, many experienced photographers moving into Astrophotography thought the transition would be simple but found that not to be the case.

Canon cameras are suitable for both, but in Astrophotography, the IR filter really needs to be removed (astro modified) to be able to capture all the wavebands, and then you need to do a custom white balance to be able to use the camera for day time photography.  So ideally it's better to have a separate dedicated and modified Canon DSLR for imaging.

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

I've started with a canon (great choice for supported astro software) and I've learnt about using a DSLR taking photos and also taking some astro photos as there's still things to learn and enjoy and if you get into then you could look to either do it your self or buy an already astro modified camera. If looking to buy second hand then the 600d has a nice articulated screen.

• Thanks 1

If you want the best possible images, as Carole says, you need a dedicated astrophotography camera. If you are just happy with nice images which will still impress you and your non-astronomy friends and family, then a DSLR is an excellent place to start. Both cameras look fine; the cheaper one has less megapixels, but the same size sensor, so each pixel must be bigger, so I would go for that one. Depending on your scope you need to work out about focus and you’ll need a T adapter and nose piece, which can generally be picked up on eBay from a China for about £10 (but may take 4 weeks to come). If your telescope focussed takes 2” then I would bogey a 2” nose piece.

It’s good fun. Enjoy.

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The book by Covington on astrophotography with a digital SLR is excellent and I can’t recommend enough reading it from cover to cover. The first edition is a bit dated but if that is all you can afford then it will still be an amazing introduction for you. I’ve not seen the second edition but expect it is even more excellent than the first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jambouk said:

Some of my images with an unmodified Canon 6D:

Thank you these really help to get an idea for whats possible with an unmodified one. These are beautiful, this sort of thing is what i'd aim for honestly, I wouldn't be attempting anything more detailed than this (not that I really know what that is because these are truly amazing to look at), obviously my budget is a lot less than a 6D so I imagine the image quality would be greatly reduced but even then, i'd be very happy to get even the slightest bit close to these sort of images. 

To be honest, I’m very lazy and I’m not good at processing, so these are just basic level images for the 6D. You could always buy a second hand 6D; the stock lens you get with new cameras can be purchased very cheaply, and you’d soon want a zoom lens and a wider field of view one too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cuto100200 said:

...obviously my budget is a lot less than a 6D so I imagine the image quality would be greatly reduced but even then, i'd be very happy to get even the slightest bit close to these sort of images. 

I have both an unmodded 6D and an old modded 1100D, the latter offers better value for money. Here's an example image taken with a kit lens.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I have both an unmodded 6D and an old modded 1100D, the latter offers better value for money. Here's an example image taken with a kit lens.

spacer.png

Wow that photo is amazing, thanks for the comparison between the two. Was looking at 200d and 250d's as well, I think they're quite new models though so there's less information regarding using them for astrophotography compared to other models I've seen. Are most DSLR's fine for beginner astrophotography? Or are there specific models I should avoid?