NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at wide field Milky Way Pano

Being a hardcore visual observer I think this might be the first time I have started a topic in the imaging section of SGL. But I do sometimes point a camera for wide field shots of the sky. However this is my first attempt at a panorama.

Taken on holiday last year on Benguerra Island in Mozambique in mid July around 3:30am, this is a stitch of 10 photos from the beach in front of our villa.

Shot using an unmodified Canon 70D and 14mm lens at f/2.8, ISO 3,200, 25 sec exposures.

47A8EF73-364B-4D28-BF8C-3187E9FE75E3.thumb.jpeg.0bfbca9defa0d3598efb119684df095b.jpeg

• Like 23

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

Being a hardcore visual observer I think this might be the first time I have started a topic in the imaging section of SGL. But I do sometimes point a camera for wide field shots of the sky. However this is my first attempt at a panorama.

Taken on holiday last year on Benguerra Island in Mozambique in mid July around 3:30am, this is a stitch of 10 photos from the beach in front of our villa.

Shot using an unmodified Canon 70D and 14mm lens at f/2.8, ISO 3,200, 25 sec exposures.

47A8EF73-364B-4D28-BF8C-3187E9FE75E3.thumb.jpeg.0bfbca9defa0d3598efb119684df095b.jpeg

Beautiful image. I am just starting out and have a 800d with Samyang 14mm lens. I hope I can take a shot like this. Is that Andromeda you have caught on the far right too? Was this 10 images stacked or a pano with 10 stitched? How do you do the stitching? 

18 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Beautiful image. I am just starting out and have a 800d with Samyang 14mm lens. I hope I can take a shot like this. Is that Andromeda you have caught on the far right too? Was this 10 images stacked or a pano with 10 stitched? How do you do the stitching? 

Good spot. Andromeda just creeps in on the far right.

This is a stitch of 10 images. Used Photoshop to combine and then processed in Lightroom.

Really beautiful. There appears to be no streaking: were you using a tracker? I identify with your philosophy: 99% visual, but I occasionally get tempted to stick a wide angle lens onto my astrotrac.

M

Edited by Captain Magenta

6 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

Really beautiful. There appears to be no streaking: were you using a tracker? I identify with your philosophy: 99% visual, but I occasionally get tempted to stick a wide angle lens onto my astrotrac.

M

Thanks. Just used a static tripod. On the full image which is more than 12,000 x 4,500 pixels a small amount of trailing can be seen but the stitching seems to have minimised it.

• 2 weeks later...

That is one great image of the Milky Way. To say it's your first image amazes me. Please don't go into deep sky imaging and make my attempts look feeble.....

Steve 

Edited by sloz1664
  • Haha 1