Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Red Dot Finder

Hi all. For Christmas I bought myself a celestron nexstar 6 se which I am very pleased with, though have only been able to use it once due to the constant cloud we’ve had here in West Yorkshire since the 23rd December. However I am having some problems with the red dot finder and want to see what people’s thoughts are on how I should/could sort them out.

Basically it worked fine at first, red dot there when I switched it on, but on the night I actually used the scope (the next night) I was finding that the red dot was not appearing straight away and I was having to switch the finder off and on again for it to come back. Having left the scope for a over a week since I’ve now gone back and found that when I switch the finder on the dot is not there at all. Sounds like a battery issue to me but the guys in the shop I spoke to said it should last for ever and a day so to speak, so I am surprised at this. The other thing is that I’ve never left the finder switched on.

I have registered the product with Celestron and have e-mailed them about the issue. Do you think I should do the same with Rother Valley Optics where I got the scope from or just try another battery – and where do I get them from?!? I’m also not sure how much RDF’s are worth – is it worth me just asking for a new one?

:just changed the font colour to make it easier to read :hello2: :

Not to be patronising at all but I find that when I turn my RDF on if I am not looking through it centrally then the red dot cannot sometimes go unoticed.

I also find if I look at it too close then it again dissapears.

Also, try making sure that the battery compartment is fully closed, they can sometimes slip.

The batteries in these don't last for ever but should be OK for a few months. It has been very cold lately so I wonder if that has affected the battery. Personally I would try a fresh battery and see how it goes. A simple RDF costs in the £15-£25 range, depending on the model. More for the more sopisticated multiple reticule ones.

John

Hi Silverfox, when I got my first RDF the battery that came with it lasted about 3 sessions then I had to replace it.

These things don't last forever and a day as some retailers suggest so it may be worth replacing the battery. If the finder still doesn't work you can then return it and you have a nice new battery for the replacement which is always handy coz when a battery dies, it always does it at the worst place and time.

Mine does that too, but I just 'thump' the side of it with my finger or flick it on and off quickly and it eventually wakes up. :hello2: No problem with the battery, though.. been using the same one for almost two years and it was accidentally left on for 10 days once. Temperature doesn't seem to affect it either. It's been out for quite a few six hour sessions at -12°C with no ill effects.

Here's the one I use.

Archived