Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trouble connecting mount to Eqmod.....connection errors

Hi Guys.......said with a drooped head.........nearly set fire to my rig today.

I have a neq6 and a Quattro8s........im trying to get it to autoguide......i used to use Skywatcher Synscan but can never get a focus

so i bought a ZWO ASI 120mm and have it focused and on a WO71mm guide scope

I downloaded all the drivers i could think of Skywatcher, ZWO and the Ascom platform 6.4......i download Eqmod....PHD" Sharpcap

ASI APT......when i try to connect anything through my laptop from the Ascom Toolbox it comes up with an error on the Eqmod either saying

Port not found or connection timed out.......If you cant help with the tekky bit is there a more strait forward way of autoguiding using the kit i have

Rehards from Terry

Hi Terry

I am far from experienced as I am just getting into guiding myself, but I thought I had a similar problem when I first connected to EQMOD.  I came across this post which may help you, assuming that you are connecting the mount to your PC with an appropriate cable.

EQMOD only looks at COM ports 1 - 16 (I think from memory) and if your COM ports are allocated to other things and your cable/mount is allocated a higher port, then you may need to clear them out so that you cable/mount can be allocated a port within this range.  

That said, when I followed this procedure, I discovered that this was not the issue for me as I only had one COM port allocated by my system, which turned out to be the cable/mount.  My issue was that EQMOD does not actually autodetect the port and therefore didn't pick it up.  Once I identified the correct one manually, it worked perfectly. 

Whether this helps or not, I hope that you get it sorted.  

Jem

I have tried naming the com port from 1 through to 16....some it says not connected to port and some it say error...timed out.......ive tried connecting to my computer two ways.......one way is a ST4 from the camera to the autoguiding port on the mount......the other way is to attach the ST4 cable to the bottom of the hand controller through to a usb connection to the laptop....thanks guys

17 minutes ago, huntapix said:

I have tried naming the com port from 1 through to 16....some it says not connected to port and some it say error...timed out.......ive tried connecting to my computer two ways.......one way is a ST4 from the camera to the autoguiding port on the mount......the other way is to attach the ST4 cable to the bottom of the hand controller through to a usb connection to the laptop....thanks guys

St4 shouldn't be attached to hand controller ! Might do some damage that way. If you try guiding using the st4 cable from guide cam to mount, choose on camera as mount in PHD2

Edited by knobby

Hi huntapix, i have almost the same mount/Scope combo.

tip 1: make sure you use your handset is set to "PC direct" mode

tip 2: in EQMod, make sure you click on the search button (binos) in adfvanced. EQMod *MUST* show "found".

If needed, i can send pics.

Clear skies, U.