Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece and telescope thumb screws

Hi, this ma6 sound a silly question but over the last two days I’ve lost 3 of the eyepiece and lens screws that secure the optics. I need to buy some more and cannot work out what size to go for. If I’m not mistaken are they all the same size?

thanks

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

They will be either M4 or M3. Both sizes are common.M4 is the most common.

I’ve used Precision Geeks thumbscrews on a few scopes. Got some ideal ones to choose from. They are also on Amazon.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/precisiongeek?_nkw=thumbscrews&submit=#

maybe go for the red one's easy to find.

I was browsing this post and it reminded me that I have difficulty tightening the retaining screw that holds my binoviewers in place. The problem is that the screw is too short and is difficult to tighten. Some time ago I bought a pack of knurled head screws for adjusting the secondary mirror on my Dob and had a couple left over so I tried one and it works perfectly. The second one was used to help retain the diagonal in my refractor as the eyepiece retaining  ring is hard to tighten, this also works perfectly. Hope this is of interest to anyone who might be having similar problems.