Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hesiodus A well placed - concentric crater updated with marth +1 1/6/20

Fozzie

Just noticed that Hesiodus A is well placed, with half in shadow and the inner crater easily visible.. one of the collection of concentric craters.. 

Worth a look..

Screenshot_20200531-212803.thumb.jpg.7fc5f5c04b9f6b5374f7924dec42b7b2.jpg

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 3

Two more cc's seem well placed tonight.. 

Marth

Screenshot_20200601-145550.thumb.jpg.b2dcf35fd09ae2812e4017e051124b35.jpg

La Condamine F..

Screenshot_20200601-145911.thumb.jpg.a6506df6304b5a32d02a78701d0fe8a5.jpg

Suspect marth is the  easier of the two, although both approx 6.5km.. think marth is more pronounced..

Just a heads up..

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hesiodus A looks even better tonight. Just spotted Marth too - a lot smaller but the inner crater is just visible when the seeing stabilises. Half of the inner ring is in shadow as Hesiodus A was last night 

• Like 1

Thanks for this @Fozzie- what a lovely way to spend an evening searching for and learning new features of the moon. I was able to see Hesiodus A very clearly- didn't try last night though.

Marth I found- it's much smaller and I can just make out something that might be an inner wall but it's not revealing much of itself yet.

La Condamine F I think I found but it's not showing it's inner crater yet.

Seeing's not great so far- it's sharp then pops out of focus randomly but when it is sharp it's very sharp

As a relative newbie to astronomy there's so much to learn and the Moon with so many features can be a bit intimidating but little challenges like this definitely help cement crater names in the mind and to link things up into some sort of cohesive map hopefully. Great! :)

BTW is that an app you are using to generate the maps? My iphone moon maps don't show these smaller crater names. The 3D rotating moon globe is better for names but is too easy to get lost in and doesn't allow inverting to match scope view except in a fixed map that's not so useful. Would love a better moon map!

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, markse68 said:

Thanks for this @Fozzie- what a lovely way to spend an evening searching for and learning new features of the moon. I was able to see Hesiodus A very clearly- didn't try last night though.

Marth I found- it's much smaller and I can just make out something that might be an inner wall but it's not revealing much of itself yet.

La Condamine F I think I found but it's not showing it's inner crater yet.

Seeing's not great so far- it's sharp then pops out of focus randomly but when it is sharp it's very sharp

As a relative newbie to astronomy there's so much to learn and the Moon with so many features can be a bit intimidating but little challenges like this definitely help cement crater names in the mind and to link things up into some sort of cohesive map hopefully. Great! :)

BTW is that an app you are using to generate the maps? My iphone moon maps don't show these smaller crater names. The 3D rotating moon globe is better for names but is too easy to get lost in and doesn't allow inverting to match scope view except in a fixed map that's not so useful. Would love a better moon map!

Glad you found these interesting..

It's an app on android called "Lunar Map HD"..   I've found it really useful...  until recently it was linked with a Moon Wikipedia page, you could "touch" the feature and a link would pop up to the WIKI page, giving you a NASA rover picture and more information.. unfortunately the moon wiki was taken down, not sure why.

I have however over the last few days found the information in a different location..

https://the-moon.us/wiki/Main_Page

If that helps..

Clear Skys

Fozzie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again Fozzie.

I just found yet another feature in SkySafari pro that I didn’t know existed- you can search for craters and features and even the smaller ones are there on a very nicely detailed zoomable photo map of the moon! It has more detail than any of the dedicated moon apps I have! And even better it only highlights the one you’re looking for so you don’t get lost in a sea of names. And better yet you can just tap a crater or feature and it’ll display its name. It really is an excellent app! Search over :)

A2A1B820-0CDC-4735-B10B-09726C9EB640.png

B7F9D3E2-9864-4EF4-AA66-8BFAA9F7CB10.png

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

That’s a really useful feature, thanks Mark. I only have SkySafari Pro - it allows you to search for specific features but doesn’t change to a detailed map when you zoom in. Still, it would have helped me last night when I was struggling to find La Condamine F 👍

This is SkySafari Pro too Kyle? The object info is a bit sparse though 😂- in case I didn’t know what a crater was lol. If only they gave a bit more detail like age and impact/volcanic etc that would be really amazing

E4E8E6DB-0655-4CB6-AB1B-523A49102BE8.png

speaking of Gassendi- what a beautiful crater it is- like a fortified settlement complete with roadways across its base. Vitelli looks ace tonight too with it’s prominent inner ring scarp face 

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

Sorry, meant to say I only have SkySafari Plus not Pro! When I zoom in on the moon, it stays blurry and doesn’t change into a high resolution image. Regarding the object info, mine says the same as yours. Good to see that you don’t need the Pro version to understand what a crater is... 😁

• Haha 1

Thanks for confirming that Kyle- I thought it was what you meant. Good to gradually learn the differences between the versions- the basic version only shows an image of the moon with no crater searching etc. It’s not very clear in their descriptions either- they might sell a few more pro copies if it were clearer. It does say the pro version has 8x the resolution of “any other version” for moon and Mars which sounds like what we’ve found at least! I bought the pro because it was on offer and I figured it’d maybe come in handy to have the expanded star database at some time in my new hobby (I’m far from a pro 😂) But had I known about this feature I’d have more positively gone for it anyway and glad I did and feel more willing to recommend everyone with any interest in the moon get it for this feature alone!

I've found Hesiodus A quite useful to determine the visibility limitations due to seeing quality. There are nights, when I can make out it's  concentricity clearly with the 5.1" Heritage Flextube, and other ones, when it remains almost invisible even with the 18". Detecting the concentricity means for me, that a rewarding session can be expected.

I prefer the app LunarMap HD over the SkySafari Pro moon display for several reasons. Set to the hi-res LRO mode, LunarMap HD shows more details and has sharper images. More important, the light-shadow line, the terminator, is clearly shown as a white line, whereas in SkySafari the terminator is invisible (or I have not yet found out where the function can be activated-?), and the whole region is shown in a dull-soft view - in reality, the terminator is the most contrasty region of the moon's image. The LunarMap HD features are easily accessible and can be used intuitively (-nice at 02.30); and there is no movement, as it is shown (due to the earth's rotation) in SkySafari.

If you want to go really deep, have a look at this - a fascinating tool, that displays even the debris on the floor of the Messier double crater:

https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?extent=37.7911356,-5.5239976,59.7415111,1.6467554&proj=10&layers=NrBsFYBoAZIRnpEoAsjYIHYFcA2vIBvAXwF1SizSg

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene

24 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

I prefer the app LunarMap HD over the SkySafari Pro moon display for several reasons

LunarMap HD isn’t on iOS unfortunately though

maybe it’s different on the android SS but the terminator on mine shows in real time. It doesn’t show the effect of the terminator on crater contrast like real live view but it shows where it is

mark

FF55D879-5C70-4F8B-8381-7E4FDC9B1774.png

Edited by markse68
  • Sad 1

What sort of magnification were you picking up Hesiodus A inner crater. I was a day ir two late for it and the main crater is easy, but the inner rim wasn’t quite visible.

Peter

Hi Peter, I found it quite easy to see at 150x so I'm sure it could be seen at lower magnifications. If you struggled to see it, it could be that the seeing wasn't good enough or it is not visible at a high sun angle?