Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New tripod and......disappointed?

3 minutes ago, FMA said:

thanks, but are you happy pollaris is in the telescope not in the polaroscope?

You can't get Polaris in the polariscope if you don't have one ... next best thing is to get it in the finder or main scope eyepiece, with the scope in the start position on top of the mount pointing North.  That gives you a rough alignment you can refine later.

Accurate PA is about refining the accuracy of the tracking. The 2 or 3 star alignment will have a similar effect, but isn't as good as getting good PA to start with. Just like guiding can compensate for some poor PA, so can the star alignment routine, ultimately, the better the PA, the better the tracking will be. If your tracking turns out to be "good enough" for what you are trying to achieve, then spend the money else where, if it's not, getting a PA scope and routine might be worth the investment.

Hello.  My tuppence.  I have the AZ EQ5 GT mount.  Are you using visually ??  If so might I suggest you use the AZ mode while you get used to the mount,   No messing with polar align.  

Pick option north align.  Tripod level - scope pointing north and have it mounted on the right hand side of the mount.   I initially had it on the left and Goto was a nightmare.  It didn't work !!    Use mid range EP  12 mm  ??   

Follow the mount instructions.  HTH.     John 

• Like 1

The AZEQ5 has freedom find, so using the clutches during alignment is definitely a no-no. You absolutely need to use the synscan hc for this. Use a low power eyepiece first, then refine with a high power eyepiece, if you want better accuracy. After 2-star goto alignment, use the polar alignment routine on the hc to improve PA. Then do a new 2-star alignment. After that, you can play with the clutches all you like, because the mount will remember its position.

Note: this assumes eq mode. 

Edited by wimvb

17 hours ago, FMA said:

thanks, but are you happy pollaris is in the telescope not in the polaroscope?

I was going to say something about with polar aligning you are aligning the mount not the scope. But without a polar scope this is obviously not possible.  

Edited by Chefgage