Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What things actually look like through a telescope ....

I've been searching the net for something which gives an idea of what the view though a scope is actually like. I've come acoss this online simulator which I think is reasonably accurate given the caveat that goes with it - your local conditions etc may vary !.

It only deals with 2 popular deep sky objects, M31 The Andromeda Galaxy (with it's 2 companions M32 and M110) and M13 the great globular cluster in Hercules. It serves to give a general idea though, particularly the impact that extra aperture can have.

Here is the link:

http://www.mydob.co.uk/eyepiece_simulator.php

John

Looks a good link John...............

By the way have you got your new scope yet m8, I have had a great time and a lot of enjoyment with this dob...........

Not yet - but soon I hope Dave.

I'm glad you are enjoying the Skywatcher 8" - great scope :)

John

Yes, a good link John (Jahmanson).

I would think it might be of great use to a beginner who may not be sure of what "size" scope to go for, and who perhaps is under the impression that he/she is going to see an image akin to those beautiful photos we see in magazines! (and on SGL too!).

Also, (well to my eyes anyway!), the simulation aptly shows that the difference in size, resolution, and brightness of image (when using the same eyepiece), is quite subtle between scopes of widely differing apertures. One would think that a 12" reflector would give dramatically better views of deep sky objects than an 8" scope. This doesn't seem to be the case - unless the difference comes out gradually over a period of time as one becomes used to viewing through the larger scope.

I think the simulation would give a beginner a much better understanding of the capabilites of different size scopes, and help him/her choose their scope not just on mere size (biggest is best!) but more so on the (well to me anyway) very important aspect of personal needs such as "lifestyle," "observing location," "storage space," "portability," and "ease of use," and finally sheer cost implications.

All this can be overwhelming to a beginner - I know it was for me. And although we on "SGL" are more than helpful in giving advice to beginners, it still is a daunting decision as to which scope to go for that will satisfy their needs in as many of the above aspects as possible.

I feel that anything which can help a beginner will be much appreciated.

Regards,

philsail1

Archived