NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2X 2" TeleVue Powermate

I'm considering buying the 2" 2X Powermate to double the focal length of my Altair Wave 115 EDT.

Would I need the adapter to use it with my SXCCD 694 and filter wheel or maybe some M48 spacers ?

The wheel has M48 male thread and total distance to sensor is 48.5mm. I have 5mm and 7.5mm spacers I could add.

Sampling rate would be 0.58"/px so a little over sampled but 2x2 binning returns it to 1.16 "/px if necessary.

Basically I want to "get closer" to some of the smaller DSS objects.

I've owned a couple of the 2x 2" Powermates (separate times). I don't image but I found them optically superb for visual observing. Apart from the amplified image, you would just not know they are there.

There are others that get very close and cost less it has to be said. The ES Focal Extender is an example.

But the Powermates are top class IMHO :smiley:

Used with a big eyepiece you do get a tall stack though :shocked:

bigeps.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers @Waldemar, I shall absorb as much of that as I can.

6 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Mark,

Should work well for you. Just buy the T thread adaptor which goes with the x2 PM. Sounds like you may also need a T thread to M48 adaptor to fit the filter wheel.

Looking at descriptions and images, the power mate has a M48 thread that you attach the adapter to. So it looks like I would need an M48 female to M48 female adapter.

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Superb, that makes it easier. Thank you for confirming.

I am so sorry, but I got it wrong... 😳

The thread is a specific size ( M51?) to connect a T2 adapter, which is M42 male.
A special adapter is available for the 2x as well as for the 4X PM

Again sorry for the confusion...

Edited by Waldemar
  • Haha 1

Confusion abounds. Maybe I should just buy one and make up an adapter to what I want.

I really wish that all manufacturers would state specific thread sizes for all connections and adapters. That would make it so much easier to find what you want.

Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.