NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Skies Surrey/Hampshire ?

SAW

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but are there any good places to go to do imaging from near me, I am 10-15mins north of Petersfield Hampshire. My garden is ok but I could really do with a good view South with no obstructions so I can image rho ophiuchi which is quite low. I have Butser Hill on my door step but it's just to windy up there and a lot of cars around. Happy to travel 45-60mins.

Thanks.

Agreed. Butser hill is very hilly.... I used to head to the New Forest, not been for a while. but always worth a trip. The preference is to team up with another, but I have to admit I've gone solo a number of times.

• Like 1

You could try Thursley Common, I scoped out a place before the lockdown.

Park up at The Moat Car Park and about a 10 minute walk on the Dragonfly Trail you'll come to a dragonfly sculpture. Just behind it is a low rise giving good 360º views.

• Like 1

Old Winchester Hill is close, plenty of spots to set up and no one will know you’re there.

Pete Lawrence is up there a fair amount for the Sky at Night.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 29/05/2020 at 14:47, SAW said:

Went to have a look at the Moat today not sure I fancy carrying my gear up there 😄

Might have a look at Puttenham this afternoon.

@SAW did you go check Puttenham? Any good? 

I went to the Putthenham Common car park yesterday afternoon and I could see it's got unblocked view - pretty much 360o. - it must be very dark as well since there are no villages close by. The car park is open 24x7. Now need to have a go in the evening.

North side

IMG_7278.jpg

Have you heard about Caesar's Camp in Aldershot? It might be a good spot as well.. 

Edited by Cesarf

2 hours ago, Cesarf said:

I went to the Putthenham Common car park yesterday afternoon and I could see it's got unblocked view - pretty much 360o. - it must be very dark as well since there are no villages close by. The car park is open 24x7. Now need to have a go in the evening.

North side

IMG_7278.jpg

Have you heard about Caesar's Camp in Aldershot? It might be a good spot as well.. 

Not sure about Caeser's Camp as you will be able to see Farnborough airport plus all the surrounding towns. Puttenham looks good though.