Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Esprit 100 with flattener and ASI533MC-Pro

PeterCPC

I just got an ASI533MC-Pro after my ASI385MC-Cool packed up.

Anyone using this combination? I am interested to know what you have in the image train to enable focus. I tried a bit of daylight imaging and I needed the 21mm spacer to be able to get focus. This was on a fairly close object - will it be the same at night on astronomy targets?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Peter

The camera has a 6.5mm backfocus without the black threaded adapter on the front, with it its about 16.5mm so you will need another 38.5mm between that and the m48 adaptor on the Esprit 100 flattner.

Adam

• Thanks 1

My setup, 57,3 mm + 6,5 mm = 63,8 mm, minus one third of filter thickness gives close to 63 mm.  The spacer/extender ring to the left of the flattener is 8 mm so distance from this ring to sensor will be 55 mm.

1949235768_FlattenerspacingEspritZWO294.thumb.jpg.fb10e899b708a7eebfbf1a5c2e6e5ac6.jpg

Christer, Sweden

Edited by Juicy6

On 27/05/2020 at 19:03, Adam J said:

The camera has a 6.5mm backfocus without the black threaded adapter on the front, with it its about 16.5mm so you will need another 38.5mm between that and the m48 adaptor on the Esprit 100 flattner.

Adam

Adam

If I use a filter cell adapter before the flattener which is 9mm wide apparently (I couldn't see any other way of using a 2" filter) will this affect the back focus? My imaging train would be camera with 11mm adapter, 16.5mm and 21mm adapters, M48 adapter, flattener. filter cell adapter.

Peter

Edited by PeterCPC

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Adam

If I use a filter cell adapter before the flattener which is 9mm wide apparently (I couldn't see any other way of using a 2" filter) will this affect the back focus? My imaging train would be camera with 11mm adapter, 16.5mm and 21mm adapters, M48 adapter, flattener. filter cell adapter.

Peter

No, distance from flattener to sensor remains the same. But you will have to move focuser draw tube inwards 9 mm. Or you can use a filter drawer...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Juicy6 said:

No, distance from flattener to sensor remains the same. But you will have to move focuser draw tube inwards 9 mm. Or you can use a filter drawer...

Thanks. So the filter cell has no effect on back focus - great.

Peter

My experience is that accurate measurement of the resulting total backfocus is essential (e.g. with digital calipers) as sometimes spacers (for example) don't fully thread in so take up more space than expected...  Many times I've worked it out on paper then measured the result only to find it's out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1