NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Time lapse failure

Debo

My 1st attempt at a time lapse and impressed, it consists of 29 x jpegs which relates to about an hour in real time, I used startrails to create the video.

The problem is the individual images are not aligned and therefore results in a horrid jerky video.

Any suggestions from you solar imagers on which software I should be using in order to get a better result?       Cheers Den

Startrails2.avi

2 minutes ago, Debo said:

My 1st attempt at a time lapse and impressed, it consists of 29 x jpegs which relates to about an hour in real time, I used startrails to create the video.

The problem is the individual images are not aligned and therefore results in a horrid jerky video.

Any suggestions from you solar imagers on which software I should be using in order to get a better result?       Cheers Den

Startrails2.avi 23.49 MB · 1 download

Wow that is incredibly detailed.

I have a couple of suggestions.

1) Download ImPPG

http://greatattractor.github.io/imppg/

Once downloaded, open the program, got to TOOLS and then ALIGN IMAGE SEQUENCE.  That will bring up the following dialogue box.  Load the files, specify an output folder and that should automatically align them. 

2) Alternatively open all 29 jpegs in PS and go to file scripts and load files into stack.  It's only a matter of nudging each layer in turn into alignment.  I did this with over 200 frames, so 29 should be handy enough.  I find that after using ImPPG I still need to align the frames a little bit.

image.thumb.png.ead21df0e01e8847f6c1e18c346758a3.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Craney said:

PIPP  may stabilise it.     

Hi Sean

I have PIPP but hvent really used it much.  How does it work in that respect?  I think it might be useful to me if that was thing it could do.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Star101 said:

What equipment did you use to get those shots?

Hi Dave,

A 130 f7 refractor (with a Baader 135mm D-EFR filter) , a ZWO ASI 178mm camera using Firecapture's Autorun feature to capture 30  avi files (one every 90 seconds).

Then lots of faffin about with Registax etc.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

could you slow it down a bit as well, be able to catch more of the action then

Hi Dave,

Good call, the sequence was at 10 frames a second, I'll try at 5 and see what it's like.

4 minutes ago, Debo said:

Hi Dave,

Good call, the sequence was at 10 frames a second, I'll try at 5 and see what it's like.

And if you're feeling bored you could save it as a perpetual looping GIF then we can see it on here without opening the AVI.

Dave

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Sean

I have PIPP but hvent really used it much.  How does it work in that respect?  I think it might be useful to me if that was thing it could do.

Hi Adam,

I think , generally ,  "IMAGE stabilisation"  is it's thing in its usual guise as a planetary aid   ( nailing down the oscillating jelly-fish that is Jupiter at 4000mm !! ).

Of use here maybe, there is a "surface feature frame stabilisation"  tick box that will sometimes lock on to the arc of the solar limb, or the edge of a prominence and reduce all the jitter-i-ness.

There is the ability to crop frames  and center objects in a field of view as well,  which again helps to produce a smoother output when high magnifications are involved.

For the seriously dedicated you can split your AVi's into individual frames and edit out gremlins. PIPP will then recompile it back into a video.

I have not tried IMPPG but have heard of it on Solar forums.  I might have to check it out.

Sean.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Davey-T said:

And if you're feeling bored you could save it as a perpetual looping GIF then we can see it on here without opening the AVI.

Thanks Dave, I did feel bored 😁

20200524_pipp.gif

Edited by Debo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1