NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which is your favourite planetary moon?

Guest telescope4u

Guest telescope4u

Which is your favourite planetary moon?

I've personally always been drawn to Jupiter's Europa... I don't know whether that's due to it looking awesome or whether it's because there could be watery life there. :lol:

Triton ("TRY ton") is the seventh and by far the largest of Neptune's satellites:

orbit: 354,760 km from Neptune

diameter: 2700 km

mass: 2.14e22 kg

Discovered by Lassell in 1846 only a few weeks after the discovery of Neptune itself.

it has a retrograde orbit arount Neptune suggesting its a captured Planet eventualy it will crash into Neptune itself its thought to be 25percent water ice 75 percent rocky material and has ice volcanoes active

Voyager found that Triton has an atmosphere, albeit a very tenuous one (about 0.01 millibar), composed mostly of nitrogen with a small amount of methane. A thin haze extends up 5-10 km

I have three favourites:

Jupiter's moon Io, because observing its shadow move across the planet surface was awesome.

Saturns moon Enceladus (Tiger Stripes 8)), because of this amazing flyby: http://tinyurl.com/93g86

And Jupiter's moon Europa, for its potential to harbour life.

Of course, it helps that all three are observable :lol:

Totally, what a great looking moon!

I read somewhere that there are major fault lines on the opposite side of Mimus to the crater... If the impact had been any bigger then it would have split the moon in two (or more).

Ant

I have heard the same things too Ant, theres another moon i can't remember off the top of my head were there are Huge fault lines/Mountans surrounding the centre of the Moon and a theory is that it did in fact split into two then re flux itself back together... I'll remember which later :lol:

Archived