NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1983470007_NGC1499overCaradonObservatory.JPG.1b5a84e95f91b5d84c2d896964223ffc.JPG

Here's a composite image showing NGC 1499 to scale with the foreground, with a closer RGBHa inset taken with 135mm and 200mm lenses. At centre bottom you can just see the imaging rig pointed straight at the nebula.

I wondered why the California Nebula was so bright, it turns out that Xi Persei is one of the hottest stars in our galaxy. More of a write-up here if anyone is interested.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 13

Context is always interesting and Registar is such a great tool.

Olly

PS the house made me jump: it's a dead ringer for our last house in the UK, right down to the balcony for the dormer!

Edited by ollypenrice

50 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Context is always interesting and Registar is such a great tool.

Olly

PS the house made me jump: it's a dead ringer for our last house in the UK, right down to the balcony for the dormer!

And I bet you also had four domes in your back garden.☺️

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, tomato said:

And I bet you also had four domes in your back garden.☺️

No, but future archaeologists studying the town of Wirksworth will wonder why curious concrete circles had been cast in a number of the town's gardens during the late 20th Century...

😁lly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Glad you like it, took a lot of hair-pulling to knock NGC 1499 into some kind of shape.

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

No, but future archaeologists studying the town of Wirksworth will wonder why curious concrete circles had been cast in a number of the town's gardens during the late 20th Century...

😁lly

Future archaeologists will likely refer to this as the Hasbro or Fischer-Price age.