NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help please EQ6 R Pro

I have had a HEQ5pro for years and now just upgraded so I know a little about using these but i am getting a little concerned i am doing something stupid or missing something out.

it just wont align and seems to be doing weird stuff

its on my pier and polar aligned, balanced and level, go through initialisation and enter all details etc

select 2 star alignment first star Arcturus it starts its slew and goes off towards capella!

pauses for a second and then slews again and goes near Arcturus ok so i think just a glitch and we are close so i move the mount with the buttons to get Arcturus centered.

next star Dubhe, slews round sort of close but not really move it around for what seems ages finally find it and centre select ok and it says successful.

so i think ok lets do this again

start 2 star align again

slew to Arcturus still miles out takes ages to find it but get it in the end next star thought i would try Vega slews over and carries on and on and eventually i have to stop it as it looking at my lawn!!

its plain weird

psu is fully charged skywatcher powertank red light on mount it on solid so no power low detected

tried factory reset updated firmware to latest

its also a lot noisier than the HEQ5pro

any help gratefully received

whioe since i used a handset as eqmod much better for myself, but from what i remember is that the date and time format is in the American style i.e. month day year instead of day month year, just check that if you have not already

6 hours ago, red dwalf said:

whioe since i used a handset as eqmod much better for myself, but from what i remember is that the date and time format is in the American style i.e. month day year instead of day month year, just check that if you have not already

the reason i was using the handset was because I was getting weird results on eqmod

i am going to try a mains psu tonight

9 hours ago, CedricTheBrave said:

Looks like I need to retire the power tank!

First successful 2 star align with no weird slews ! Using a mains 12v  psu that usually powers my camp fridge 😁

Thank you guys I appreciate the input

If you want to go back to a portable power supply, you might want to consider one of these 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro.html

I use one on my EQ-6-R and it works great, right through the night. I have tried the SW tanks and they are nowhere near as good, though I do still use one for dew heaters, just to take the pressure off the Celestron lithium tank

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

If you want to go back to a portable power supply, you might want to consider one of these 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batteries-powerpacks/celestron-lithium-lifepo4-powertank-pro.html

I use one on my EQ-6-R and it works great, right through the night. I have tried the SW tanks and they are nowhere near as good, though I do still use one for dew heaters, just to take the pressure off the Celestron lithium tank

fortunately i am home based never take it any further so mains will do thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2020 at 08:48, KevS said:

👍 Looks like I need to retire the power tank!

I have something similar to a 17AH PowerTank for another non-astro use. They use a lead acid 12V battery. The problem with this is that the voltage drops very quickly under load.

Simon      

Edited by SimM

On 20/05/2020 at 07:49, CedricTheBrave said:

Start 2 star align again.

Slew to Arcturus still miles out takes ages to find it but get it in the end next star thought i would try Vega slews over and carries on and on and eventually i have to stop it as it looking at my lawn!!

it's plain weird.

Doesn't the EQ6-R Pro need a PSU with much more current than the HEQ5 Pro e.g. one says 2.5A @ 12V and the second 4A @11V or 2.5A at 16V?

Simon

Edited by SimM