Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RAW webcam and which software to capture?

Now that I've finally got most of the issues ironed out with my gear, I'm on the final hurdle.

My guidecam is one of the ASTSC15BW webcams - basically a B&W rechipped modded ToUCam webcam with amp off, LX and fan cooling. Andy has it flashed so it is recognised as an SPC900NC webcam, and it takes RAW AVI captures (that is my understanding anyway?). I think it should double up as a lunar or planetay imager too, and that's something I really want to explore.

I have a set of RGB dichroic filters and a wheel which I bought early 2007 and have never used. Initially I couldn't get focus on the Newtonian, but I modded the filter wheel and I was soon able to get focus :) But that was it, it went into the box again and I just plodded on doing deep sky stuff with the DSLR. I had planned on doing some tricolour planetary imaging but just never got round to it. So here I am....

I need advice on some software to capture the AVIs from the webcam. I downloaded a trial version of K3CCD but it seems to freeze when I click on video, in that the capture starts but won't stop then the program says Not Responding and closes. Are there any free programs to use or at least try out? I gave my other (colour) ToUCam to my Dad as he's starting out himself, and I have used it in the past with the VLounge software to reasonable success but the B&W is likely to give better results even if it is more challenging.

Is there anything specific I need to do to the captures AVIs to keep the data raw or is this just part of the package? I've read about Bayer matrix, and debayer etc and I'm none the wiser TBH.

Thanks in advance

Adam

I've been usng wxastrocapture with my RAW modded SPC900, works great. You just need to tick the box in the options in Registax to Debayer the AVI in processing, registax will handle the conversion for you. I've so far only captured AVI's of the moon in B&W, but it's something I'm going to be working on. Now if only I could get consistent results with Multi Point stacks in Registax :)

I like the way the files are renamed to prevent overwriting. If you've ever used VLounge to capture avis - well I lost about 4 'good' ones one night as I forgot to change the name and it just rewrote over the last one each time :scratch:

Ow. I tried K3ccd tools, and couldn't get to grips with it, the lack of values in the settings, meant adjusting was really tough, and I had the same symptoms you got. I've not used any other capture software since finding this. (Just make sure you keep the codec set to YUV420 not RGB24 or you won't be able to debayer the avi... I lost 7gb's worth of AVI's thanks to that little one.)

• 2 years later...
I've been usng wxastrocapture with my RAW modded SPC900, works great. You just need to tick the box in the options in Registax to Debayer the AVI in processing, registax will handle the conversion for you. I've so far only captured AVI's of the moon in B&W, but it's something I'm going to be working on. Now if only I could get consistent results with Multi Point stacks in Registax :)

Hi jgs001 .

I also used SPC900 raw_mod webcam but the picture is very dark, and reclining on the green.

I tried debayer by Aviraw and Registax, the results are the same,

Can you help me?

Hi jgs001 .

I also used SPC900 raw_mod webcam but the picture is very dark, and reclining on the green.

I tried debayer by Aviraw and Registax, the results are the same,

Can you help me?

Not sure I'm afraid, this thread is from 2 years ago... I don't use the SPC900 anymore, and registax has moved on a lot since then too. I'd suggest your best bet is to start a new thread to be honest.

Archived