Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

KStars/Ekos Help - WCS Settings

I've made good progress in getting my R Pi 4 set up with Astroberry and have got it to recognise my CCD and filter wheel however when I go to the plate solve part it gives the following message in the dialogue box:

---

World Coordinate System (WCS) is enabled. CCD rotation must be set either manually in the CCD driver or by solving an image before proceeding to capture any further images, otherwise the WCS information may be invalid.

---

All the action buttons are disabled and I can't see anything in the Ekos or Indi options that lets me set the rotation manually or that will let me solve an image.  If I try to disable WCS, the moment I click back on the plate solve option it re-enables automatically.  Am I being a bit dense here and if so how to I resolve?

Thanks all

Hi, All its telling you is while the field size overlay is accurate, the orientation of the overlay is an unknown guess until you plate solve. Once its solves it will orient itself properly.

You don't need to disable WCS, just don't trust it until its solved. Some rotators can be connected to send the the info to and fro, without plate solving, but I don't suppose you are using those.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fireshipjohn said:

Hi, All its telling you is while the field size overlay is accurate, the orientation of the overlay is an unknown guess until you plate solve. Once its solves it will orient itself properly.

You don't need to disable WCS, just don't trust it until its solved. Some rotators can be connected to send the the info to and fro, without plate solving, but I don't suppose you are using those.

Thanks-that is handy to know.

I may just be being thick in that case. Got something to try tomorrow and will report back. A lot of things just feel a bit clumsy at the moment but it’s only how I felt when I was first getting to grips with APT. 

It can be a bit daunting at first, like any new system, but after some playing around with Ekos for a while you will find yourself asking questions like “ I wonder if it also does <blank>?” and you will then find a setting that answers the question.

• Like 1