SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrading a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p

Hi! I'm very new to astronomy and have ordered a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p as my first telescope, which arrives soon. As I understand it the tripod is the biggest weak link in the setup. Is it possible for me to buy a replacement, better tripod to improve my viewing experience overall?

Apart from the tripod what would you recommend upgrading?

Thanks!

Edited by Crignog

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Try your new set up first before thinking about upgrades. The tripod may well be perfectly adequate. Learn how to use the scope to find objects in the night sky. This can be difficult at first but with a bit of practice you will soon learn. Above all enjoy yourself as you set out in your new hobby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crignog said:

Hi! I'm very new to astronomy and have ordered a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p as my first telescope, which arrives soon. As I understand it the tripod is the biggest weak link in the setup. Is it possible for me to buy a replacement, better tripod to improve my viewing experience overall?

Apart from the tripod what would you recommend upgrading?

Thanks!

Hi welcome to SGL. 

I put together a video review of the exact telescope I while back. It might be helpful as it covers one or two things that you can do to improve the scope. You've made a good choice though from all the budget scopes I've tested :) I've coincidentally just ordered the StarQuest 102R plus the optional motor drive for myself as I think it's one of the best budget setups out there capable of tracking the stars. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Try your new set up first before thinking about upgrades. The tripod may well be perfectly adequate. Learn how to use the scope to find objects in the night sky. This can be difficult at first but with a bit of practice you will soon learn. Above all enjoy yourself as you set out in your new hobby.

That sounds like really good advice, thanks! I think it's just the anticipation of getting my first scope. Really can't wait!

14 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Hi welcome to SGL. 

I put together a video review of the exact telescope I while back. It might be helpful as it covers one or two things that you can do to improve the scope. You've made a good choice though from all the budget scopes I've tested :) I've coincidentally just ordered the StarQuest 102R plus the optional motor drive for myself as I think it's one of the best budget setups out there capable of tracking the stars. 

Hi! I've seen your videos, they are actually what helped me decide on this particular telescope! To be honest I've been unable to find much in terms of review, but thankfully yours was very insightful :)

is that motor drive the one that fits all Starquest models? I commented on your video asking this in fact! 😛 would really love a review or overview of how it performs. It definitely seems like the next purchase on my list, apart from perhaps an eye piece at some point.

Also, do you mean the 102R is a better set over the 130 reflector? I suppose that's subjective to the user and there uses?

Thanks again!

Edited by Crignog
  • Like 1

Doh! I must have missed your comment, sorry about that, I've noticed that YT doesn't always alert me to comments for some reason? Yes that's the motor! I think it also fits the Skywatcher Avant range also. I'll be sure to review it so stay tuned :)

The supplied eyepieces will be good to get you started but the 10mm would be my choice to replace first as it does suffer from some optical defects known as aberrations. If you can stretch to it check out BST Starguider eyepieces, FLO sells them, but definitely get to know the initial setup first before upgrading as laudropb suggests :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Doh! I must have missed your comment, sorry about that, I've noticed that YT doesn't always alert me to comments for some reason? Yes that's the motor! I think it also fits the Skywatcher Avant range also. I'll be sure to review it so stay tuned :)

The supplied eyepieces will be good to get you started but the 10mm would be my choice to replace first as it does suffer from some optical defects known as aberrations. If you can stretch to it check out BST Starguider eyepieces, FLO sells them, but definitely get to know the initial setup first before upgrading as laudropb suggests :) 

That's really helpful, thanks! Really appreciate your timely response 😊 very much looking forward to the video!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gmx76 said:

Hi I am also considering this scope.  How does it compare to the Explorer 130p? 

From what I've read the StarQuest is just an upgraded version of the Explorer with a different mount and it's white not black :)

• Like 1

Thanks all. Ordered and just received, thanks Altair Astro for amazing support during the buying process and a speedy delivery! Comparing to another I tried the mount and scope seem solid. Tripod is so-so but you get what you pay for. Got the motor too, though yet to be tried. Need to learn the eq system but happy so far. 

Edited by Gmx76
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

Thanks all. Ordered and just received, thanks Altair Astro for amazing support during the buying process and a speedy delivery! Comparing to another I tried the mount and scope seem solid. Tripod is so-so but you get what you pay for. Got the motor too, though yet to be tried. Need to learn the eq system but happy so far. 

My Starquest 130p arrived a couple of days ago, I don't have the motor yet, but if love to here how you get on with it! :)

So the clouds cleared enough to get a look at Venus.  Nice and clear view of a crescent.  Tried the motor, seems to be a good idea but I clearly need to learn how to use an EQ mount properly!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 17/05/2020 at 23:29, Gmx76 said:

So the clouds cleared enough to get a look at Venus.  Nice and clear view of a crescent.  Tried the motor, seems to be a good idea but I clearly need to learn how to use an EQ mount properly!

My apologies, completely missed this reply! Have you had improved results over the last couple of months? :)

ha no worries, seems better now i understand polar alignment and tracking better. I am now on the hunt for a cheap goto mount such as an EQ3 Pro Goto with Synscan though. New these are £400 or so but I think can be picked up for maybe £250 used. So if you are thinking along those lines could be worth saving the money.

Hi, try these, deliberately not cropped so you can see exactly what I captured. Definitely need a lot of practice with my new GPCAM2 290C, but the motor seems to work ok. 17.thumb.jpg.ccbb0a6de4868b8d53b19812cb9dc91a.jpg9.thumb.jpg.4793cc3a8f698304fea5f08ebb078e2e.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

Hi, try these, deliberately not cropped so you can see exactly what I captured. Definitely need a lot of practice with my new GPCAM2 290C, but the motor seems to work ok. 17.thumb.jpg.ccbb0a6de4868b8d53b19812cb9dc91a.jpg9.thumb.jpg.4793cc3a8f698304fea5f08ebb078e2e.jpg

That's awesome! What sort of exposure time is this? Sorry for all the questions 😬