Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Crignog

Upgrading a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p

Recommended Posts

Hi! I'm very new to astronomy and have ordered a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p as my first telescope, which arrives soon. As I understand it the tripod is the biggest weak link in the setup. Is it possible for me to buy a replacement, better tripod to improve my viewing experience overall?

 

Apart from the tripod what would you recommend upgrading?

 

Thanks!

Edited by Crignog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Try your new set up first before thinking about upgrades. The tripod may well be perfectly adequate. Learn how to use the scope to find objects in the night sky. This can be difficult at first but with a bit of practice you will soon learn. Above all enjoy yourself as you set out in your new hobby.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crignog said:

Hi! I'm very new to astronomy and have ordered a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p as my first telescope, which arrives soon. As I understand it the tripod is the biggest weak link in the setup. Is it possible for me to buy a replacement, better tripod to improve my viewing experience overall?

 

Apart from the tripod what would you recommend upgrading?

 

Thanks!

Hi welcome to SGL. 

 I put together a video review of the exact telescope I while back. It might be helpful as it covers one or two things that you can do to improve the scope. You've made a good choice though from all the budget scopes I've tested :) I've coincidentally just ordered the StarQuest 102R plus the optional motor drive for myself as I think it's one of the best budget setups out there capable of tracking the stars. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. Try your new set up first before thinking about upgrades. The tripod may well be perfectly adequate. Learn how to use the scope to find objects in the night sky. This can be difficult at first but with a bit of practice you will soon learn. Above all enjoy yourself as you set out in your new hobby.

That sounds like really good advice, thanks! I think it's just the anticipation of getting my first scope. Really can't wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Hi welcome to SGL. 

 I put together a video review of the exact telescope I while back. It might be helpful as it covers one or two things that you can do to improve the scope. You've made a good choice though from all the budget scopes I've tested :) I've coincidentally just ordered the StarQuest 102R plus the optional motor drive for myself as I think it's one of the best budget setups out there capable of tracking the stars. 

 

Hi! I've seen your videos, they are actually what helped me decide on this particular telescope! To be honest I've been unable to find much in terms of review, but thankfully yours was very insightful :)

 

is that motor drive the one that fits all Starquest models? I commented on your video asking this in fact! 😛 would really love a review or overview of how it performs. It definitely seems like the next purchase on my list, apart from perhaps an eye piece at some point.

Also, do you mean the 102R is a better set over the 130 reflector? I suppose that's subjective to the user and there uses?

 

Thanks again!

Edited by Crignog
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doh! I must have missed your comment, sorry about that, I've noticed that YT doesn't always alert me to comments for some reason? Yes that's the motor! I think it also fits the Skywatcher Avant range also. I'll be sure to review it so stay tuned :)

The supplied eyepieces will be good to get you started but the 10mm would be my choice to replace first as it does suffer from some optical defects known as aberrations. If you can stretch to it check out BST Starguider eyepieces, FLO sells them, but definitely get to know the initial setup first before upgrading as laudropb suggests :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Doh! I must have missed your comment, sorry about that, I've noticed that YT doesn't always alert me to comments for some reason? Yes that's the motor! I think it also fits the Skywatcher Avant range also. I'll be sure to review it so stay tuned :)

The supplied eyepieces will be good to get you started but the 10mm would be my choice to replace first as it does suffer from some optical defects known as aberrations. If you can stretch to it check out BST Starguider eyepieces, FLO sells them, but definitely get to know the initial setup first before upgrading as laudropb suggests :) 

That's really helpful, thanks! Really appreciate your timely response 😊 very much looking forward to the video!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I am also considering this scope.  How does it compare to the Explorer 130p? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gmx76 said:

Hi I am also considering this scope.  How does it compare to the Explorer 130p? 

From what I've read the StarQuest is just an upgraded version of the Explorer with a different mount and it's white not black :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Ordered and just received, thanks Altair Astro for amazing support during the buying process and a speedy delivery! Comparing to another I tried the mount and scope seem solid. Tripod is so-so but you get what you pay for. Got the motor too, though yet to be tried. Need to learn the eq system but happy so far. 

Edited by Gmx76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

Thanks all. Ordered and just received, thanks Altair Astro for amazing support during the buying process and a speedy delivery! Comparing to another I tried the mount and scope seem solid. Tripod is so-so but you get what you pay for. Got the motor too, though yet to be tried. Need to learn the eq system but happy so far. 

My Starquest 130p arrived a couple of days ago, I don't have the motor yet, but if love to here how you get on with it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will try it over the weekend and will let you know 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the clouds cleared enough to get a look at Venus.  Nice and clear view of a crescent.  Tried the motor, seems to be a good idea but I clearly need to learn how to use an EQ mount properly!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2020 at 23:29, Gmx76 said:

So the clouds cleared enough to get a look at Venus.  Nice and clear view of a crescent.  Tried the motor, seems to be a good idea but I clearly need to learn how to use an EQ mount properly!

 

My apologies, completely missed this reply! Have you had improved results over the last couple of months? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ha no worries, seems better now i understand polar alignment and tracking better. I am now on the hunt for a cheap goto mount such as an EQ3 Pro Goto with Synscan though. New these are £400 or so but I think can be picked up for maybe £250 used. So if you are thinking along those lines could be worth saving the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one! I don't suppose you have any images taken using the motor you'd be happy to share? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, try these, deliberately not cropped so you can see exactly what I captured. Definitely need a lot of practice with my new GPCAM2 290C, but the motor seems to work ok. 17.thumb.jpg.ccbb0a6de4868b8d53b19812cb9dc91a.jpg9.thumb.jpg.4793cc3a8f698304fea5f08ebb078e2e.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gmx76 said:

Hi, try these, deliberately not cropped so you can see exactly what I captured. Definitely need a lot of practice with my new GPCAM2 290C, but the motor seems to work ok. 17.thumb.jpg.ccbb0a6de4868b8d53b19812cb9dc91a.jpg9.thumb.jpg.4793cc3a8f698304fea5f08ebb078e2e.jpg

That's awesome! What sort of exposure time is this? Sorry for all the questions 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good question, i think was around 5secs. I'm using the Altair Capture software on Mac, single sub, no stacking

how are you finding yours? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Planetarian
      Hi, I've got a Skywatcher Heritage 130p reflector, and if i insert anything less than 10mm eyepiece, the image won't get crisp. I guess it's normal, but as I'm very new to astronomy, I'd like to know what the sharpness depends on exactly. 
      Is that the focal length (how fast the telescope is? ) or the size of the mirror and how much light it gathers? Or both affect it the same way?  
      Are things the same with refractors in this regard? Thanks. 
    • By ThadeusB
      I have for sale my Skywatcher Startravel 120. Objective lens 120mm; Focal length . It is in excellent condition, clean and only very minor marks. Clean optics, no fungus. The focusser is the original one and works smoothly; 1.25" and 2" adaptors. With both caps.
      A very good starter scope, or good as a portable scope.
      Included accessories: red dot finder; 90 degree star diagonal; 10mm & 25mm EPs; mobile phone adaptor. All in as new condition.
      Please don't ask me to split this package.
      Price £140.00 no offers.
      It will be very well packed.
      Payment: paypal or bank transfer
      I can deliver by Hermes; I can get a quotation for this if you wish. Or you can make your own courier arrangement, or collect in person.
      Please PM me if you would like more information.









    • By Quentent
      Hi,
       
      So just today i got my new EQ3 mount and tripod delivered.
      Brought it out, balanced it leveled it etc etc.
      So i polar aligned it,  and selected 2 Star Alignment.
      1st star to align to: Betelgeuse.
      As soon as i hit confirm align the motors kick in but as soon as the mount starts to rotate the motors stop and the hand controller resets itself immediatly and starts initializing all over again.
      I discovered that moving Ra on its own works just fine as does moving Dec on its own but whenever i press for example the left and Up arrows at the same time the mount stops and the hand controller resets.
      Could this just be a problem with power draw? The Synpro box takes 12V DC and is supplied by a 12V DC car outlet type power source. However i changed this to a 3 Pin UK 12V 1A DC & AC plug.
       
      Im hoping the power supply is the issue and not something else.
    • By Soulitude
      Hi everyone I am new here, I live in Perth Western Australia (bottle class 5) and have just brought my new set up. There hasn’t been anyone in the area I can talk to about astrophotography so tried to do it all myself online and I fear I may have incorrectly purchased some things. (I tried to get things one at a time for budget purposes)
      I have this set up
      heq5, evostar ed80, .85reducer & corrector, evoguide 50ed, zwo 120mm mini for guiding and just my canon 200d mkii for the imaging. 
      The telescope, I think I may have brought something that’s not great for imaging and that’s all I’ve wanted to do. 
      can you please provide a better telescope alternative that would be suitable for all my other gear without having to buy like a new mount etc. I’m thinking just a slightly better scope not too heavy, opinions would be much appreciated 💖💖💖 xx
    • By Tonny
      Hello guys  I am an absolute amateur buying his first telescope... and I am desperate, please help.
      My budget is around 1300 euro (1600$). I am interested mostly in DSO... astrophotography, but observing as well. 

      So refractors are better for astrophotography, crisp clear views, plus they are low maintenance... but refractors with big aperture are too expensive, apo refractors even more... and I think that I want big aperture, because I am interested in observing as well, not only astrophotography. Sooo more light, more details, more magnification. Please correct me, if I am mistaken.
      Also, I know the mount is really important for photography, but these scopes comes with mounts that maybe are not the best, but are they good enough? 

      I am considering these three options now:
      1. https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/skywatcher-telescope-n-200-1000-explorer-bd-neq-5-pro-synscan-goto/p,20291#tab_bar_1_select 
      2. https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bresser-telescope-ac-152-760-ar-152s-messier-hexafoc-exos-2-goto/p,14209#tab_bar_2_select 
      3. https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bresser-telescope-ac-127l-1200-messier-hexafoc-exos-2-goto/p,14206

      Bresser 127 have smaller aperture, but very good reviews... on the other hand Skywatcher have nice reviews as well and bigger aperture.
      Bresser 152 sounds really nice, but is a bit expensive, and as long as I have to buy an eyepiece, nebula filter, adapter for my DSLR, maybe this CA correcting filter... it will goes above my budget and I don't know if it deserve it, and again - Skywatcher wouldn't be better?
      The only thing that censers me about the Skywatcher is that collimation thing every time and that it could be too complicated for a newbie (that is what I read about big reflectors)... usually this kind of things wouldn't scare me, I mean how complicated it can be... If it is the better telescope than it deserve a little more maintenance?

      Since I am not going to be a professional, I want to observe and take photos just for fun - I know I have to compromise with something for this price... I am just very confused after all I read.... And as I said, I am a newbie never took a look trough a telescope, so I trust Internet and I am ready to buy the first telescope someone advise me  
      I don't thing I could afford buying telescope again any time soon, that is why I want something good, that I wouldn't need to change and be happy with it for maaany years.
      Please correct me, if I am wrong with all these and if there is a better telescope for me?

      Thanks in advance!  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.