NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Primaluce eagle

Feels like asking a lot but all the info here is welcome.  While searching for complete and good reviewed gear to build some setups for an interesting new hobby im interested in reviews of primaluce eagle core.  I bought an used asiair device and, while still learning the functions, it looks like an almost flawless smart device.  Only thing that might be a problem in the future is the compatibility with other brands equipment.  For now it has to be only zwo equipment, except for the dslr’s.  Does any of you have experience with the eagle core? And even better when you have compared it with asiair.  It looks good in the specs, the price is even better then the asiair and most important it works with almost all other brands.  But how is the simplicity of controlling the imaging?

thx in advance 

the eagle is dedicated just towards dslr's, plus after you buy that you have to buy all the cables for each piece of equipment £50.00 upwards with the asiair you get the cables with it.

I haven't used the Eagle Core, but from the PLL site it looks like this is a lot simpler than ASIAIR. There is no plate solving, for example. If you want to control other cameras than zwo and dslr, have a look at Stellarmate or plain old Ekos/Kstars on a raspberry pi. This does what Eagle Core does, up to complete observatory automation, including weather monitoring. And it (Ekos) is free.

12 hours ago, wimvb said:

If you want to control other cameras than zwo and dslr, have a look at Stellarmate

Yes i actually forgot to mention that one.  I bought an used asiair v1 and when using such a device you start to appreciate the power of it.  But then the mounting-possibilities and extra features of the newer asiairpro start to make sense.  while searching for the asiair i saw the eagle and it looked as a competitive device.  You can easy spend € 50/150 for a good mounting bar for on top of your scope, or buy a € 300 eagle core.  So i think the eagle has some benefits because it will be build in the whole setup en doesnt end up being an “extra” attachment on your setup. 
I think ill wait for the moment more (good) reviews come online

I am currently reviewing one and will have a video up shortly.  They are ok but, as mentioned, are for the supported range of DSLR's only.

They do have a guiding app built in but, apart from aquisition that is about it. 

You don't have the capacity to store image on the unit (no SD card) so you need to use the SD card storage on the DSLR.

The 3 power outs are handy, and you can buy the plugs and make your own leads.  They aren't proprietary plugs and can be purchased relatively cheaply but, from my experience with the Eagle 2, you do need to check the polarity on the sockets as PLL do not necessarily adhere to converntions here. 

It is a reasonabl little unit and works really well with PLL's line of +Plus accessories.  They release regular firmware updates adding features and supported cameras all the time.

It has a limited use but for what it is used for it is pretty good and has some useful functions.  Personally I would probably opt for something like the Atik Base which is an RPI/Ekos unit, and allows you to use other cameras etc.

14 minutes ago, RayD said:

currently reviewing one

Im very interested of course.  But do you compare it to the asiair Or stellarmate or atik base (just found out its existence 😉).

Still dont know the whole stacking procedure, no experience because my first long session still have to start, but when thats also one of the features of the asiair pro then its a very attractive device.  Sad they dont (yet) opt to buy it in a longer and mountbar-replaceable housing.  

Edited by Robindonne

3 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

Im very interested of course.  But do you compare it to the asiair Or stellarmate or atik base (just found out its existence 😉).

Still dont know the whole stacking procedure, no experience because my first long session still have to start, but when thats also one of the features of the asiair pro then its a very attractive device.  Sad they dont (yet) opt to buy it in a longer and mountbar-replaceable housing.  

It isn't really comparible as they do different things, but the comparison is naturally there to be drawn.  As noted above by Wim the ASIAir is for ZWO cameras, and the Eagle Core is for the supported DSLR's.

Each has its own benefits but it ultimately comes down to exactly what you would be using it for as, once you get one, that is all you can use it for (Atik Base and Stellarmate aside as they both use Ekos so support lots of cameras and other stuff).

I know Grant from Flo has been using the ASiair pretty extensively and I believe rates it pretty highly.

If you have a lot of other PLL gear, so already have the dovetails etc. to mount it, then it is a reasonabley good option (assuming you are only planning to use a DSLR.  If you are planning to use anything other than a DSLR then you need to look at other options, with the ASiair only supporting ZWO camers, and the Ekos based units offering extended compatibility.