Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Never used an Equatorial Mount before....

is it a forgivable error that after getting a new Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5-Pro Synscan (my first ever equatorial mount) that it took me ages to discover to slew the scope properly you need the brakes on 😃

IMG_20200509_210646_647.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, 'brakes' off to move the scope freely, brakes on to use the drive. Once you have the scope aligned to north keep the brakes on and use the controller to do the final alignment, slewing and tracking..

• Thanks 1

There's lots to learn.  I used to have a similar setup, but not GoTo.

If you want to view anything near the zenith, you will have to retract those tripod legs.  And if you have occasion to use the finder near the zenith, it makes things much easier if you replace the straight-thru finder with a right-angle or RACI type.  And, in common with other larger scopes with higher powered finders e.g. 9x50, it is helpful to add a red dot or suchlike wide angle finder to get the scope roughly aimed and the sought object into the finder field.

• Thanks 1

Perfectly forgivable @EdG. I’ve been using them for years just for visual on planets and the Moon mainly, and the other evening still managed to set it up with the polar axis facing south!! Took me a good few minutes scratching my head wondering why the RA slow motion control wasn’t doing the right thing!  Look carefully; the scope is pointed at Venus! DOH! 🤣🤣

D8587E36-90C2-4BD7-874B-F12A3B66B18A.jpeg

C6F783EE-130A-402F-861B-989D4746185D.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you - I don't feel so silly now 😃 Now I just need to work out the best place to use it from. Although I would prefer to us it on the patio I think it is a bit close to the house (the chimney got in the way of viewing Venus last night). So might need to be the grass to get the best view. What I never realised I would need while using a telescope is a set of small step ladders to reach the Finderscope 😃😃😃

Yes, better observing on grass for two reasons. Grass/soil gives off less heat than concrete at night so you will have fewer thermals. Possibly more significant is that dropping things on grass is far more forgiving that onto a patio!

I never quite realised how much more stable a tripod is when spiked into grass. I ordered some spikes for my Berlebach and it is much more stable than when on rubber feet sitting on the grass.

• Like 2

Looks like a very nice scope and mount.  Note that you can (with great care) move the OTA back and forth in the rings if you wanted to shift it down a bit to reach the eyepiece easier, so long as it remains balanced on the mount.  You may find on occasion that you'll want to rotate the OTA within the rings if you need to switch sides when something might be hitting the tripod on one side.  If moving the OTA within the rings, make sure it cannot slip out (horizontal is probably best) and then slacken off the two large ring thumb bolts just enough to be able to move it.

I second the alternative finder scope / red dot finder suggestions, with a 200P you'll likely want to be able to find fainter objects so you'll need all the help you can get.

WRT the weights you may find that you only need one of them (maybe the larger one) at the end of the bar, or part way down the extension bar (if you have one).  Make sure you always put the screw cap on the end of the bar.  Consider adding the middle-weight eyepiece you might use when balancing the scope.

Edited by jonathan
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jonathan said:

Looks like a very nice scope and mount.  Note that you can (with great care) move the OTA back and forth in the rings if you wanted to shift it down a bit to reach the eyepiece easier, so long as it remains balanced on the mount.  You may find on occasion that you'll want to rotate the OTA within the rings if you need to switch sides when something might be hitting the tripod on one side.  If moving the OTA within the rings, make sure it cannot slip out (horizontal is probably best) and then slacken off the two large ring thumb bolts just enough to be able to move it.

I second the alternative finder scope / red dot finder suggestions, with a 200P you'll likely want to be able to find fainter objects so you'll need all the help you can get.

WRT the weights you may find that you only need one of them (maybe the larger one) at the end of the bar, or part way down the extension bar (if you have one).  Make sure you always put the screw cap on the end of the bar.  Consider adding the middle-weight eyepiece you might use when balancing the scope.

Funnily enough I found the balancing the scope pretty straightforward, I was surprised at how easy it was to balance. The finderscope is pretty good (gives good magnification) although I think it is about 6ft high at times 😃 My old scope has a Telrad on it, but it is on solidly, I think I would need a crowbar to get it off. When the weather picks up again I will give the scope a go on the grass, will need to put some marks on the grass so I can set it up in the same place each time 😊

oh, and I have tried turning the tube round to make it easier to view (although it is slightly nerve-racking doing it).

Hmmm, the more I think about it the more viewing on the grass makes sense 🤣🤣🤣