SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Easy DSO’s To View From UK

Not the best night I’m afraid because if the near full Moon (SuperMoon!)

Good ones still might be M44, the Beehive cluster or the Double Cluster although this is getting a little low currently, down at 20 odd degrees, better earlier on. Then there is M13 the Hercules globular cluster and likely better (ie higher) is M3, again not too close to the bright Moon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not the best night I’m afraid because if the near full Moon (SuperMoon!)

Good ones still might be M44, the Beehive cluster or the Double Cluster although this is getting a little low currently, down at 20 odd degrees, better earlier on. Then there is M13 the Hercules globular cluster and likely better (ie higher) is M3, again not too close to the bright Moon.

Thank you I’ll have a look out for some of those :)

The "Cats Eye" planetary nebula (NGC 6543) in Draco is small but nice. With relatively small scopes you can also see the central star at higher magnifications.

It seems to survive moonlight quite well too and its on the opposite side of the sky to the moon.

The Cat's Eye Nebula – Cosmic Pursuits

724153962_Catseyeneb.jpg.a0beaa5a03efa24602dd06f74f061d30.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, John said:

The "Cats Eye" planetary nebula (NGC 6543) in Draco is small but nice. With relatively small scopes you can also see the central star at higher magnifications.

It seems to survive moonlight quite well too and its on the opposite side of the sky to the moon.

The Cat's Eye Nebula – Cosmic Pursuits

724153962_Catseyeneb.jpg.a0beaa5a03efa24602dd06f74f061d30.jpg

Thank you I’ll look into that :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having just upgraded to a small refractor and a decent mount I've been discovering new DSOs myself the past couple of weeks. Check out M101, M51 and M81 - all stunning galaxies. Brilliant seeing them for myself having only previously seen them in books, etc. Worth a look!m101_reduced.thumb.jpg.061501b0ec6e08d3461fedb70c0dc4f3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some good targets there. Better point out though that they won't look anything like that though a scope - unless you have a 30 inch dob on top of the Canaries !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have found hercules cluster M13 and ring nebula very easy to locate and view in hazy May night skies, M5 has been a bit trickier but I saw it one night and it blew my socks off, defo my favourite so far!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...