Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Switch button switches to get?

msacco

Hello, I'm planning on making something for field use and I'd like to use switches for it. I previously used the following red switches:

image.png.a878e8b4cd5dee8c5dd6d795771068ac.png

But it seems to me like it outputs too much light, I would prefer a switch with slightest light so I'll be able to know something is turned on, but not so much as these.

Any recommendations? Thanks :)

Depends on how confident\able you are, as I've also used those switches, but disassembled them & replaced the internal dropper resistor, to limit the light emitted.

A second option would be to use the same style of switch, but then mount an external, (sub)miniature led, suitably set for the brightness you require. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Depends on how confident\able you are, as I've also used those switches, but disassembled them & replaced the internal dropper resistor, to limit the light emitted.

A second option would be to use the same style of switch, but then mount an external, (sub)miniature led, suitably set for the brightness you require. 

The first option is very interesting! How would I go about opening the switch and doing that though? Do you have some pictures by any chance? I don't see any screws to open that up.

3 minutes ago, msacco said:

The first option is very interesting! How would I go about opening the switch and doing that though? Do you have some pictures by any chance? I don't see any screws to open that up.

They generally just snap together, I taken similar ones apart and modded them to momentary switches and dimmed the LEDs, not those particular ones so inly way is suck it and see 😁

Dave

Just now, Davey-T said:

They generally just snap together, I taken similar ones apart and modded them to momentary switches and dimmed the LEDs, not those particular ones so inly way is suck it and see 😁

Dave

So should I just try to disassemble it with force? ^^

2 minutes ago, msacco said:

So should I just try to disassemble it with force? ^^

Probably have to break one to find out how they're made, hopefully not glued together.

Dave

Just now, Davey-T said:

Probably have to break one to find out how they're made, hopefully not glued together.

Dave

So it was really easy with a little bit of force, I'm not sure where 1 part should go now though and how to assemble it back ^^

But replacing the resistor seems really easy. Julian, which resistor did you use?

Where you see the holes in the body side, you insert a small screwdriver type object and the front rocking part, will 'pop' out, but take care you don't lose the actuator spring.....

As for the replacement resistor value, it will depend on the supply voltage, required light output etc. I used 4K7 resistors, but then I also have loads of them....

9 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Where you see the holes in the body side, you insert a small screwdriver type object and the front rocking part, will 'pop' out, but take care you don't lose the actuator spring.....

As for the replacement resistor value, it will depend on the supply voltage, required light output etc. I used 4K7 resistors, but then I also have loads of them....

I managed to open that, there's thing weird metal piece thing which I'm not really sure where it should go back, I don't see any normal place for it to fit well.

Do you remember where it should go?

That's why I said you need to take care.....

If I remember correctly, it works on a seesaw rocking principle, one way the switch links the centre pole to one of the outside poles, the other way links the centre pole to the opposite outside pole, so you should be able to work it out.

10 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

A spot of dark red nail varnish over the light works wonders - dims it but still visible in the dark.

Holy..........That sounds so simple, yet so brilliant. I'll surely give it a try. Thanks!