NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO ASI224 cooling project ready for first light

cuivenion

This has been a fun project to pass the time. I've sorted out a much needed cooler for my ASI224 camera, just in time for summer.

IMG_1443.thumb.JPG.efa9379b815d7a8eedb1e3212695f768.JPGIMG_1442.thumb.JPG.2d6736e45b46695757dbd484e3f2d714.JPG

Testing in a warm house about 20c ambient Ive had the sensor down to -4c. Fortunately you can get a temperature readout in Sharpcap. The temperature probe is on the side of the camera casing and was showing -10c with the external thermostat. Just need the desiccant to arrive today and I'm ready for first light tonight.

Here's a comparison of two 30 second darks, the left one is at 30c, the right one at -4c. Looking good.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.116f6a3db737a91b8e1d4846ef1bb5d4.jpg

Edited by cuivenion
  • Like 3

That is very impressive, what a thing to behold.. Mr Fusion!  

One thing occurred to me though, I don't suspect that one for travelling, doesn't look "airline friendly"

• Like 1

Haha, it might wake up airport security a bit thats for sure. It's not as big as it looks in the images and probably weighs about as much as a DSLR. Dread to think how it looks on an x-ray though.

Edited by cuivenion

Well the cooler works really well. The sensor temp stays very stable. There was only 0.1c variance in temperature between lights. The only problem I've encountered is the cold travelling up the imaging train and misting up the coma corrector outer lens in the focuser tube. I'm hoping that a dew band on the outside of the focuser tube will sort that out. If not it's time for a diy dew band and drilling a hole in the dovetail-m42 adapter.

• Like 1