Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is my DSLR Pixel size?

Thank you kindly.

I'm trying to decide between the 80ED or 200/250pds for my first imaging scope.  My main interest is smaller galaxies and asteroids so learning towards the 200 or 250pds.  It seems that even the 80ED wouldn't be able to get all of M31 in the field of view?  Is this a bad camera to use for astrophotography?

sky1.PNG

9 minutes ago, Diddykong said:

My main interest is smaller galaxies

With your DSLR, if you've a decent mount, good skies and a sheltered site, I'd go for the 250.

We've an old blue tube 250 and a 150 at the same focal length. Much lighter, but you need a lot more time to get the same result with the latter.

HTH

7 minutes ago, alacant said:

With your DSLR, if you've a decent mount, good skies and a sheltered site, I'd go for the 250.

We've an old blue tube 250 and a 150 at the same focal length. Much lighter, but you need a lot more time to get the same result with the latter.

HTH

My other concern is ease of use.  I've read that an 80ED is a lot easier than a 250.  As long as it doesn't require a degree in physics I can learn the ropes,  I'm located in bortle 6 skies.

Hi David,

I'm getting the EQ6-R Pro mount.  Could always go for the 200.  My concern is the 80ED would only be useful for nebula as most galaxies would be too small, could I image with an 80ED then enlarge the image post processing so it was more like the image a 250 would capture? (complete newbie here :))

1 hour ago, Diddykong said:

Thank you kindly.

I'm trying to decide between the 80ED or 200/250pds for my first imaging scope.  My main interest is smaller galaxies and asteroids so learning towards the 200 or 250pds.  It seems that even the 80ED wouldn't be able to get all of M31 in the field of view?  Is this a bad camera to use for astrophotography?

sky1.PNG

M31 is the largest appearing galaxy outside our Milky Way.. Try using a smaller galaxy and see where that leads....Don't use M101...Its still too big.

Dave