NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser upgrading + Autofocuser choice?

Hi all,

So, i am still waiting my second Newt to come and i hope it will meet expectation at least or even exceed it, and with Newt it is always about the collimation and the quality of the tube and the focuser, so i will just ask about focuser here.

How much improvement someone expecting going from stock focuser to something affordable medium quality? Or to premium focuser such as FT and ML?

What is the main thing you need from that premium or better quality focuser over stock focusers that camera with cheap Newt?

And about the motor or Autofocuser, do you prefer to go with premium brand of the focuser motors or you buy something else separately?

I am still thinking about if i really should upgrade the focuser of my Newt scopes or not, i did for my 8" F5 from stock single speed to Skywatcher dual speed, i don't know if that is enough if my imaging setup isn't that heavy, Camera + FW + CC = less than 2KG or say ~2KG, is it a big deal really to upgrade for premium to adopt say 1.5-3KG weight?

You should consider the Baader Diamond Steeltrack which is in a similar class to the Moonlite but cheaper yet more durable.Very popular focuser amoung imagers.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-diamond-nt-for-newtonians.html

Edited by johninderby

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

You should consider the Baader Diamond Steeltrack which is in a similar class to the Moonlite but cheaper yet more durable.Very popular focuser amoung imagers.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-diamond-nt-for-newtonians.html

I saw that, but is it really worth it?

And which autofocuser i can use with this if i chose it?

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

A lot cheaper than the Moonlite. To get better you would need to go to  a FeatherTouch really.

Steeldrive focus controller

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-diamond-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeldrive-ii-with-hand-controller.html

To be honest, this isn't any cheaper, i mean it is very close to Moonlite price, very, i added that Baader focuser and the motor and it is nearly $800, let's say it is $700, also expensive, i did contact ML and i got an email with the quotation for ML focuser of the color i need plus the autofocuser of their brand and it was about $795, and someone on FB just told me he god that ML focuser only brand new for $165 without extras i think, so, for me i think going with Baader isn't any save then, and i have to know how much improvement it will give over my Skywatcher focuser anyway.

26 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

i did for my 8" F5 from stock single speed to Skywatcher dual speed, i don't know if that is enough if my imaging setup isn't that heavy, Camera + FW + CC = less than 2KG or say ~2KG

On my SWs the dual speed is not any different to the single speed. Apart from 10:1 shaft obviously.  So it’s weight capacity is exactly the same.

I had a moonlight on one of SW newts (300PDS) and I have one on my Epsilon.  There are smooth and nice to use.

I have a decent amount of kit on my current bog standard SW single speed focusers (2 focusers both with Baader clicklock/EFW/CCD/FF) and they are work (just).

Im sure that upgrade by Baader would be good.   What scope have you bought?

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 1

I have had ML and FT for several years now. Every telescope i'm using at the time i would instal ML/FT. I am happy with both. Dual speed ML = coarse speed is just superior to everything else. I am looking for upgrade to large but full remote rotator focuser now...there is olso baader and GSO - taller and heavier. important thing is to make sure that after complete setup you focus will be achieved. Both companies are rock solid and will give you years of great service. Both have no issues with heavy load- easy with fine focus. FT is a killer for Newt. - very expensive for some reason - I def don't understand why they get away with doubling (almost) price for the TAK focusers...anyway - 10 out of 10 on both.

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

On my SWs the dual speed is not any different to the single speed. Apart from 10:1 shaft obviously.  So it’s weight capacity is exactly the same.

I had a moonlight on one of SW newts (300PDS) and I have one on my Epsilon.  There are smooth and nice to use.

I have a decent amount of kit on my current bog standard SW single speed focuser and it’s just about working.

Im sure that upgrade by Baader would be good.   What scope have you bought?

Still i didn't get the answer, i mean are you saying that the stock SW focuser is just fine not a big deal which means no need to upgrade? Or just upgrade to be sure only?

Are you asking about the scope that i already have or the one i ordered and i am still waiting it?

2 minutes ago, Gorr_77 said:

I have had ML and FT for several years now. Every telescope i'm using at the time i would instal ML/FT. I am happy with both. Dual speed ML = coarse speed is just superior to everything else. I am looking for upgrade to large but full remote rotator focuser now...there is olso baader and GSO - taller and heavier. important thing is to make sure that after complete setup you focus will be achieved. Both companies are rock solid and will give you years of great service. Both have no issues with heavy load- easy with fine focus. FT is a killer for Newt. - very expensive for some reason - I def don't understand why they get away with doubling (almost) price for the TAK focusers...anyway - 10 out of 10 on both.

I don't doubt about FT and ML focusers, everywhere they are top choice no question, but i was asking if i am having those very cheap Newt, is it really any point going with focuser that are maybe more expensive price the the scope itself? and how much improvement it will give anyway rather than beautiful design and smooth focusing? GSO i think is almost same as Skywatcher focuser design.

well - is hard to say more than: Stability, rigidity, better precise/fine focus. you won't see any defection and both will hold the load.  With stepper motors both - with ASCOM interface is a great pleasure to use. Parts are widely available and both have great customer service... I am sure that Baader was used recently on RC10 with heavy train, and with good result as well. What i want to find any problems with it? i: i would apply pressure by the eyepiece see if there is any flecture, listening to any clicks - bearings, signs of worn out paint by the tracks...how much light is going through,  also, do i like the way brake is applied/catching...

I only had a problem few times where - i presume - previous owner has overloaded its bearings.. i had to replaced two- With FT they are positioned in slight different angles - careful. 

2 minutes ago, Gorr_77 said:

well - is hard to say more than: Stability, rigidity, better precise/fine focus. you won't see any defection and both will hold the load.  With stepper motors both - with ASCOM interface is a great pleasure to use. Parts are widely available and both have great customer service... I am sure that Baader was used recently on RC10 with heavy train, and with good result as well. What i want to find any problems with it? i: i would apply pressure by the eyepiece see if there is any flecture, listening to any clicks - bearings, signs of worn out paint by the tracks...how much light is going through,  also, do i like the way brake is applied/catching...

I only had a problem few times where - i presume - previous owner has overloaded its bearings.. i had to replaced two- With FT they are positioned in slight different angles - careful. 

Ok, sounds really a difficult question to answer, it is just about "Go buy the premium you will never regret and we don't know about cheaper one and we are all happy with premium focuser".

Thank you very much