Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Tools Action Set

Hi, quick question to anyone else using the Astronomy Tools Action Set - when I run any of the actions, it converts my image from 16 bits/channel to 8 bits/channel - is this supposed to happen and does this matter? i.e. does it adversely affect the image?

47 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

Hi, quick question to anyone else using the Astronomy Tools Action Set - when I run any of the actions, it converts my image from 16 bits/channel to 8 bits/channel - is this supposed to happen and does this matter? i.e. does it adversely affect the image?

That's odd. It doesn't happen to me. I have used this excellent set of tools in Win XP, Win7 and Win10.

Olly

I think there has been an issue with Catalina on Mac.  Not sure if you are using Mac or PC, but I had some real odd things happening and had to delete the set and reload them and all was fixed.

40 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

No idea what Catalina is? 

I'm using PC with Windows 10

Catalina is a Mac OS so if you're on W10 it won't be that.

As Olly says, probably worth dropping a line to the author.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Have you tried dropping a line to Noel Carbone? He's very helpful.

Olly

How would I contact him? I guess via the support page on the prodigitalsoftware website?

Could it be if I've not loaded the correct file? When I purchased the action set, there were 3 files:

•  Astronomy Tools v1_6_2.atn              - for Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC
  • Astronomy Tools v1_6 PS CS.atn        - for Photoshop CS
  • Astronomy Tools v1_6_1 PS 6-7.atn    - for photoshop 6 or 7

I wasn't sure which of these was the most appropriate for my version of Photoshop, I have Photoshop 2020 I believe, so I'd loaded the file for 6-7 as this sounds like the newest version out of these files?

Untitled.png.dd88e479df64a42e1aeb4abac0f93467.png

Quick look at the ProDigital Astronomy Tools page has this note halfway down the page, The actions in Astronomy Tools work on RGB images in both 8 and 16 bit-per-color mode in Adobe Photoshop® CS to CS6 or CC; and in 8 bit mode only in Adobe Photoshop® versions 6 and 7.   Don't know if that's helpful,  we had to contact Noel (via the support page) a few years ago and the reply was quick and helpful.

Seems to have a spring discount running, nice.

Edited by Mick J

1 hour ago, Adam1234 said:

Could it be if I've not loaded the correct file? When I purchased the action set, there were 3 files:

•  Astronomy Tools v1_6_2.atn              - for Photoshop CS2, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC
  • Astronomy Tools v1_6 PS CS.atn        - for Photoshop CS
  • Astronomy Tools v1_6_1 PS 6-7.atn    - for photoshop 6 or 7

I wasn't sure which of these was the most appropriate for my version of Photoshop, I have Photoshop 2020 I believe, so I'd loaded the file for 6-7 as this sounds like the newest version out of these files?

Photoshop 6 released in 2000, and Photoshop 7 released in 2002 are the oldest of those listed. Photoshop CS (version 8 ) was released in 2003 and CS6 (version 13) was the last of the stand alone versions released in 2012, before the CC (version 14) subscription model version was released in 2013. The current version is still called CC though it is frequently updated  and is currently on version 21.

As MickJ has pointed out Astronomy Tools is only 8-bit in Photoshop 6 or 7. You're using the latest CC version of Photoshop so use the first Astronomy Tools version in your list.

Here's the full Photoshop release history. :smile:

Alan

Edited by symmetal

18 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Photoshop 6 released in 2000, and Photoshop 7 released in 2002 are the oldest of those listed. Photoshop CS (version 8 ) was released in 2003 and CS6 (version 13) was the last of the stand alone versions released in 2012, before the CC (version 14) subscription model version was released in 2013. The current version is still called CC though it is frequently updated  and is currently on version 21.

As MickJ has pointed out Astronomy Tools is only 8-bit in Photoshop 6 or 7. You're using the latest CC version of Photoshop so use the first Astronomy Tools version in your list.

Alan

That's brill, thanks Alan!! Loaded in the first file, and that has done the trick, my image stays in 16-bit now.

Edited by Adam1234
  • Like 1