NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 3184-First Attempt with PI

Hi All, been playing around with Pixinsight and this is what I came up with.

Subs and flats are not the greatest as I had to break down my set up a couple of times and the image triain was disturbed a little. Had some patchy background noise with I couldn't resolve so cropped the worst if it out.

NGC_3184.thumb.jpg.20d41f9e7186e5b6cfd3ce35a61353be.jpg

Edited by MarkAR
  • Like 3

Cheers for the comments guys. Also just realised there is another little smudger towards the bottom left.

IIRC I used DBE, Multiscale Linear Transform , might have used a wavelets as well can't remember.

Played around with other things just to see if there were any background improvements but I think the main problem might be unbalanced darks/bias/flats on top of losing orientation when I had to bring my gear in a couple of times.

It's a fairly heavy crop but one thing is that drizzling definitely improved the stack so it would have been a lot worse without drizzle.

I'm going to have another bash using the Pixinsight LRGB videos. 

One question comes to mind, would you de-noise the RGB before adding the L or after?

Edited by MarkAR

3 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Mark - PI can be a challenge but looks like you are geting it well sorted.

Did you dither during capture?

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, for some reason I find PI a bit easier to fathom the way it works with previews than I do PS or Gimp and layers.

Yes, dithered on capture.

• Thanks 1

Had a play around with the non drizzled masters.

Dynamic Crop, Mure Denoise on the Grays, RGB Combine, Colour Cab, Photo CC, Inverted SCNR then SCNR non inverted, LRGB Combine, Hist Stretch and a tweak in Gimp to darken the background.

NGC3184_LRGB.jpg

ABE and DBE produced horrendous effects, so there's still a light gradient to contend with.

Edited by MarkAR