NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coma Corrector advice

Hi all,

I hope everyone is keeping well during these turbulent times!

Anyhow, I wondered if someone could provide some advise on a coma corrector and other accessories I may need with it.

As a bit of context - I am in the process of setting myself up to enter the world of astrophotography with a SW 150P-DS, HEQ5 mount and t-ring adaptor for my Canon 400D DSLR.  However one piece of equipment that I have not yet purchased is a coma corrector - something that a lot of research has told me is vital.

One thing that I am struggling with though is whether it is a case of purchasing just the coma corrector (I have been eyeing up the Baader Mark-III MPCC) or whether I need to purchase additional adaptors to get the best out of it and/or to even 'work' with my set-up.

I wondered if anyone could give some advise on this.

Thanks in advance.

Jon 

I have the same questions about the right coma corrector.  When i bought my first used scope.  A quattro the owner told me to buy a coma corrector. At that time it was an item sold for 600,-??? Never bought is but recently i saw, i think the same, coma corrector priced at 250,-,. A skywatcher aplanatic f4 corrector. 

but im a rookie as well so dont pin me on my words😅

Edited by Robindonne

@Jonny_H- that's a great value setup- a I think the SW f5 scopes are great value. You will definitely need a coma corrector and the Baader one gets good write ups, I'm sure FLO can advise on adaptors. An alternative is the Skywatcher one, for which you do need the appropriate adaptor, but which works very well on both my 200p and 130pds.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-m48-camera-adapter.html

1 hour ago, Robindonne said:

skywatcher aplanatic f4 corrector. 

+1.

It's a re-badged 4-element gpu. A different beast to the 2 element ccs.

You need a m48 t-ring to attach it to your camera and you're good to go. But any of the above mentioned ccs will work fine:)

Cheers and HTH

5 hours ago, alacant said:

+1.

It's a re-badged 4-element gpu. A different beast to the 2 element ccs.

You need a m48 t-ring to attach it to your camera and you're good to go. But any of the above mentioned ccs will work fine:)

Cheers and HTH

Oh indeed.  It looks like it is indeed the same item.  Just better priced.  So correcting coma has recently become a cheap job.  Thx

Edited by Robindonne