Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW 80ED (or something else) with APS-C camera?

I've been using a SW Evostar 90 for the last few months and I've learned a few things.

I'm interested in taking this further and that my eyes are not suitable imaging equipment! (Mostly it's just a great way to see just how many floaters I have)

I've taken some simple but nice images, but the Evostar really does love it's chromatic aberration.

I have a Sony A5000 which has an APS-C sized sensor.

Sadly my limited budget won't stretch to the 80ED and the SW x0.85 focal flattener.

Would I be able to get reasonable results with my non-full frame camera, without a FF?

If so, what else would I need to successfully attach my camera to the 80ED? (I already have a couple of  T-mount adapters)

Ideally I would have liked a shorter tube and focal length, but it seems the competition is slim (at least under £500)

Thanks!

I think the FF makes a difference at APS-C size.  Having used that sensor previously and still using the 80ED scope, I have some old subs that should hopefully show you the difference.

Ignoring the general quality of stars or framing of the subs 😅... you'll need to open them in a new tab at 100%, but look at the centre and then going towards the four corners. 

You'll get reasonable results or even great results, but if you're using the full size of the sensor in your end image (no cropping) you will have the stretched stars.  "Reasonable" has different levels in everyones mind 🙂

Without Flattener:

APSC-NoFF.thumb.jpg.bb3ef65e3ea8b739148fc40b46c9f8d3.jpg

With Flattener:

APSC-WithFF.thumb.jpg.9fc57dcbdb3b14f93bce7d6c67bbc3e0.jpg

I think there are options in the 60-70mm, shorter focal length range under £500 (or there abouts with a flattener).  The Evostar 80ED is available for under £400 if you don't get the "package" version which has all the visual stuff.

Edited by geeklee
Corrected scope.

(I currently have the Sky-Watcher Evostar 90, at 900mm long it's F10)

Thanks for the images, yes there's certainly a difference, which is very inconvenient! :)

I'll have to look into any alternative choices and then have a good long think.

• Like 1

You don't mention what mount you have, or intend to use?

What about a SW 130PDS, if you're not opposed to a reflector.  Looking at FLO's website, the OTA & necessary Coma Corrector would be about £300, whereas the 80ED + FF is around £560, so the 130 is considerably cheaper, with a lot more aperture.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Erling G-P said:

You don't mention what mount you have, or intend to use?

I have an EQ3-2 Pro, it's imaging weight limit is 5kg. Which I believe is insufficient for the 130PDS.

I'd had a good look through the 130PDS imaging thread a few days ago and it otherwise looks ideal.

*edit* I was just Googling to see what a suitable mount for the 130PDS was, only to find that it's frequently sold with the EQ3 Pro!

So it looks like I've dismissed it unnecessarily?

It looks like the 130PDS might be the better choice as I'd then be able to spend the rest of the budget on other things I should really have.

Edited by Piers

5 hours ago, Piers said:

I have an EQ3-2 Pro, it's imaging weight limit is 5kg. Which I believe is insufficient for the 130PDS.

I'd had a good look through the 130PDS imaging thread a few days ago and it otherwise looks ideal.

*edit* I was just Googling to see what a suitable mount for the 130PDS was, only to find that it's frequently sold with the EQ3 Pro!

So it looks like I've dismissed it unnecessarily?

It looks like the 130PDS might be the better choice as I'd then be able to spend the rest of the budget on other things I should really have.

It's probably the bare minimum for it I would think, but still very much a beginner myself, so no expert.  Mostly here, a HEQ5 Pro seems to be what is recommended for it.  Hopefully someone who has tried imaging with a 130PDS on an EQ3-2 Pro will chime in.

• Like 1

It's pushing its limits, but there are quite a few people in the EQ3 imaging and 130PDS imaging threads that are using the EQ3 and 130PDS.

So I think that's the way I will go, which is quite a surprise to me :)

Thank you all for the help and information!

• Like 1

On 25/04/2020 at 02:50, Erling G-P said:

a SW 130PDS

+1. Or if you also want to have a go at smaller targets, something longer? As can be seen, @Erling G-P's 200p on an eq5 works fine.

7 minutes ago, Erling G-P said:

Sometimes convention needs to be defied

Originality. Otherwise there's a danger we all end up with the same telescope taking the same images!

Cheers and good luck with whatever you chose.

13 minutes ago, alacant said:

+1. Or if you also want to have a go at smaller targets, something longer? As can be seen, @Erling G-P's 200p on an eq5 works fine.

Originality. Otherwise there's a danger we all end up with the same telescope taking the same images!

Cheers and good luck with whatever you chose.

Just for clarification - it's a HEQ5Pro I'm using with a 200PDS - an EQ5 would probably be pushing it, even for a convention-breaker.. 😁    Do have a 130PDS too, for wider fields, and for conditions with too much wind for the 200PDS, but have hardly used it yet.

• Like 1

One of the problems people Face is choice! Too much of it!! This can prolong the experience road if one keeps changing to catch up with the rest.

I bought a TS-optics 130 photoline, for AP, and I’m no where near to having the experience to use it as such.

I do have my Celestron ED to gain much needed experience, but, I wish I had bought the SW 130 PDS, for one it’s got more aperture, two it’s easier to mount, three, there’s a really big following of this scope and therefore a greater amount of knowledge to refer to.

I’ m even thinking of selling a kidney to get one!🤪

I think it’s more that one should fully understand what equipment you have than to jump up a level, nowt beats experience!

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1