Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SOLVED** !! Synscan USB Dongle not connecting to SynscanPro

Astro-Geek

Spurred on by my success with my Synscan Wifi adapter, I noticed that Skywatcher now do a cabled version:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-adapter.html

...which appears to be the same thing, but connects via a USB lead rather than wifi.

My PC is a NUC on the scope pedestal itself, so as this wired one is only £20, I took the opportunity to simplify things and get it.

It states that it can be controlled by the SynscanPro app for Windows, as well as EQmod.

It was delivered with the usual amazingly fast FLO service, (next day, even under the current difficult circumstances !)

I've plugged it in, and although the device manager sees it as "Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM3)",  I can't get SynscanPro to connect, (even when I choose "Com" in the settings.

Helpppppp...   🥴

synscan USB dongle.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek

I've cracked it at last....  🤓

It was bl**dy Windows 10 again.

When using the SynscanPro app with the Synscan USB Dongle, you need to edit the "connect setting" to "serial".

Quite logical, and that's what I was trying to do, but the setting kept reverting back to "network" as soon as the mouse button was released.

I then tried it on my notebook, which had a slightly older version of Win 10, and it worked ! I was able to set it to serial and connected ok.

So I went back to my main PC and tried to run the SynscanPro App as "Administrator" -  Bingo !  it then worked and held the "serial" setting and after I chose the correct com port (from Device manager), it connected and controlled my mount. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro-Geek said:

've plugged it in, and although the device manager sees it as "Prolific USB-to-serial Comm Port (COM3)"

Prolific - a well known problem with Windows 10 - steer well clear. Plus unless its changed the Prolific cannot be uniquely identified so if you have another Prolific chipped adapter it creates many problems. Hence why the Prolific chips are very cheap. But glad you have connected to Synscan now!

• Like 1

Yes, I noticed the comments about problems with Prolific in my search, prior to posting.

I think I may be ok for the moment with the lack of IDs though, I'm only using one serial adapter.

Windows keeps coming up (down) to my expectations......   

Edited by Astro-Geek

That sounds like poor permissions management by the app  rather than windows itself. 

Prolific on the other hand are a piece of poo and I was surprised that FLO are selling an adapter based on this chip. Vendors such as FTDI are available for 8£ for the same job. I have a prolific on my EQ8 at the mo and it drops out occasionally which is really annoying. 

• Like 1

Well I have to admit a further wrinkle to this, and it is indeed due to the way Windows mis-handles the Prolific drivers when left to auto-install.

When I posted that I thought I'd cracked it by running SynscapPro in administrator mode, I'd forgotten that I had tinkered with the drivers as well.

I've now installed it on my Obsy NUC pc, and the  SynscanPro app wouldn't connect via the Synscan USB adapter.  I then remembered installing the Prolific driver downloaded from the Skywatcher website.  I did that, but then there was another glitch, it still wouldn't connect.

I then looked at the prolific Com port in windows device manager and selected "update" driver, I then specified "I will select from a list" rather than auto, and in the list there were two Prolific drivers, one dated 2016, and the other dated 2018.  Windows had still auto selected the older one, despite me running the Prolific driver installer from Skywatcher.  I manually selected the newer 2018 one, and then rebooted (important), and it now works fine.

,,,and yet another "wrinkle" to this.... 😬

I've been tidying the (rats nest) wiring around my EQ6 wheeled pier, and the Synscan USB then refused to connect again !

Went over all the red herrings first, (drivers, win 10 permissions etc.) to no avail.

It turned out that the USB lead from it will only work in my NUC PC's single USB 2.0 port.

No connection via any of the USB 3.0 ports, or the (good quality) powered USB 3.0 hub.

I'm still very happy with it though.  Once you have it tamed it works with so many other things, and in either of my EQ and AZ mounts.

I wondered if the tiny little box was just a Prolific serial to USB adapter, so I tried connecting my EQ6 with my skywatcher RJ45 serial cable to my prolific serial-USB adapter lead.  That connects to Stellarium ok, but the windows Synscan Pro app refuses to connect, so there must be some other circuitry in there.

On 29/04/2020 at 13:06, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I find a lot of USB 2.0 devices do not like being connected through a USB 3.0 hub, even if the hub is 'good quality' e.g. Canon cameras, so I use both types of hub....

It didn't even like the straight USB 3.0 ports on the NUCs motherboard !

On 29/04/2020 at 13:06, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I find a lot of USB 2.0 devices do not like being connected through a USB 3.0 hub, even if the hub is 'good quality' e.g. Canon cameras, so I use both types of hub....

Never had a problem with my Canon on UBS hubs (3 or 2) or even Active USB leads - just gets slower to download images IME - maybe lucky or the quality of the leads which can make a big difference!

Edited by stash_old

None of my Canons will work on a USB3 port whether that is a computer direct or hub of any type, especially the Canon EOS utilities & I always use the shortest StarTech leads I can get away with....  

• Like 1

USB Hubs (mostly 3.0) can be quite a lottery with certain hardware drivers.

One of my other money pits is Computer VR with flight sims.  When I started using my Oculus Rift, it had several room sensors, and only one or two specific named USB 3.0 hubs would co-operate with them. 😬

• Like 1