C8 EDGE ... AVX vs HEQ5 (Belt modded)

knobby

C8 EDGE ... AVX vs HEQ5 (Belt modded)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which one AVX hypertune or HEQ5

• AVX hypertuned
    • HEQ5 belt modded

Hi all, full disclosure !

Not sure if correct sub forum so mods feel free to move.

Short version ... bought C8 HD approx 6 years ago, seized 2 years ago due to not being used for 2 years (shoulder injury) bought for visual / planetary. Stripped down / re greased etc. nice and free now (better than when new) now tracks a 420 mm scope at 1.5 arc seconds fairly consistently. Not good enough for DSO at 0.54 pixel scale. I can spend £500 on a dark frame repair / hypertune or sell the mount / Starsense with a link to this thread so people know what they are getting for maybe - mount @ £250 ish Starsense £150 ish or £400 as a package. This leaves me about £555 away from the HEQ5 rowan modded mount from @FLO 

In summary, which would you choose ? I know EQ6R is a better option but can't spend the extra (or lift it with my dodgy shoulder 🙂 )

Long version- details, the AVX bearing was replaced with an angle bearing ( better for loading in 2 directions ) degreased, cleaned thoroughly, lightly lubricated with teflon superlube, nylon washers on replaced bearing removed as not needed with angled bearing. The RA assembly is now approx 1.5 mm higher than previous but the worm still meshes nicely. One of the threads on the Dec / RA mounting has stripped, had to rotate 90 degrees and use 'spare' threads ( there are 4 when only 2 used) All flashed to latest firmware ( as of 19-4-2020) well looked after, stored in garage under tarp when not used.

INFO - used these pages for guidance during mods - http://rocketsparrow.blogspot.com/2017/01/how-i-made-better-celestron-avx.html   https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/578878-celestron-avx-rebuild/

Thanks for looking.

edit - should have added ... I'm an engineer by trade so although the AVX has been stripped / rebuilt I'm no muppet 

edit 2 - should also have added that I will be using the 0.7 reducer so F7 / 1400 mm - 0.56"/pixel

Edited by knobby
Added info

12 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I would go HEQ5 Pro with belt mod, they are renown for good performance and well documented and supported.
Far more so than the AVX, however that is a good mount and well liked, you know that though anyway.

Thanks Alan, should have added ... I'm an engineer by trade so although the AVX has been stripped / rebuilt I'm no muppet 🙂 

• Like 1

You might want to read the reviews of dark frame optics before considering that as an option - there is a recent review in the supplier forum, but quite a few comments in other sections of mounts disappearing for months at a time when sent off for servicing. So I've voted HEQ5 even though I have an AVX and it is fine for my needs.

• Thanks 1

I'd say neither will allow you to image successfully / repeatably at 2000mm FL.  You may have more success at a lower FL with the dedicated reducer, but that's still pushing it.

If I had to choose I'd go HEQ5 Pro every time, far better mechanics / motors IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Starflyer said:

I'd say neither will allow you to image successfully / repeatably at 2000mm FL.  You may have more success at a lower FL with the dedicated reducer, but that's still pushing it.

If I had to choose I'd go HEQ5 Pro every time, far better mechanics / motors IMO.

Thanks Starflyer, should have added that I will be using the o.7 reducer so F7 / 1400 mm - 0.56"/pixel. My seeing is never going to reach that level so if I can guide just under 1 arc sec I'd be happy.

Oooh lots of money 😄 out of my budget.

Erring towards HEQ5 / Rowan belt modded but @FLO showing 7-10 days delivery ...

Edit ... If I do go for HEQ5 would I be better spending an extra £30 on upgraded bolts or the usb cable ? 

Can I connect to the handset ( I have a RS232 usb adaptor)

Edited by knobby
Added info