NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second(?) light ZWO asi178mm

Yawning Angel

Continuing my adventure with the loaned TAL 100 PST stage 2. A bit windy today, but all good practice. The asi178 isn't blisteringly fast at 30 fps <typo fixed>, but the results are crisp

I've been setting it running taking 500 frames every 3 minutes and letting it do a couple of hours whilst doing lockdown things (mainly home schooling the hobbits!)

736004671_22-04-20asi178.jpg.8f205c86b99a6b3c0441de28f622a1ff.jpg

Edited by Yawning Angel
typo
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Yawning Angel said:

Typo...500 frames @ 30fps, sequenced to capture every 3 mins. The softness is more than likely down to the processing 😳

I wasnt getting at that lol, but I thought something was odd at 3FPS!  Thats what I was getting on my old PC with my 178MC trying some solar the other day, so I just gave up on it and went back to a smaller sensor which gave me a better FPS.

9 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

It made me look again at the data and I think this one comes out a little better. Captured about 30 minutes later, I've combined it with the same surface capture frame

1906099882_22-04-20asi178b.jpg.7ab4c46386171853928a588fb7614667.jpg

It could have been the seeing or anything at that point but this is very nice and looks better, more detail in the proms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

nearer 50 FPS

The 178 at full resolution gets about 30fps. It's the trade off for it being 6 megapixels. It's not the ideal camera for solar, but its the most suitable I own. ROI it will speed up, so I've been playing with that today, but high cloud has made it all a bit mushy

There are a couple I’d consider The asi290 is blisteringly fast , and the asi174 has global shutter - but since the scope is only loaned, I’m not really looking to  invest😀

The asi120mm I have is faster, but lower res and nosier. I started there, and then swapped to the 178

Edited by Yawning Angel