Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Markarian's Chain

Skipper Billy

I had packed up my gear for the summer but the promise of 5 nights clear skies with no moon, no wind, no clouds etc and not having to get up for work in the morning prompted me to drag it all out of hibernation and get cracking! This is just 90 mins of Lum and 20 mins each of RGB binned 2x2. The plan was to spend two or three nights on this target but a bad dose of Hay Fever and not being able to see properly put paid to that! So its noisy and lacking depth but in terms of numbers of Galaxies in one frame its tremendous value for money.

I was very surprised how little colour there is in it - maybe its just my poor attempt at capture and processing?

Hi Res version here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/49796710693/in/album-72157675109735132/

Markarians Chain.jpg

• Like 12

That is as good as I have seen on that target, the more I see from these scopes the more I want one but don't want to end up dead, maybe I can sneak one one day, I mean it is not as if I can afford it. I guess you are between a rock and a hard place up there ib Scotland, a lovely part of the world but does it actually get dark in summer.  Even here well over a 1000 miles south it is not dark until 10pm in June, the trouble is I am up very early most mornings and find it hard to stay out until much past 11.30.

Great image Sir.

Alan

Cheers Alan. I usually packup on or around my my birthday (8th April) as its usually a pointless exercise after that - its not really dark until midnight and too light again by 0300.

But sadly I dont have to get up early for work at the moment - every cloud = silver lining etc 😉 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

Cheers Alan. I usually packup on or around my my birthday (8th April) as its usually a pointless exercise after that - its not really dark until midnight and too light again by 0300.

But sadly I dont have to get up early for work at the moment - every cloud = silver lining etc 😉 

I'm wrestling with odd weather at the moment, it was 30 degrees yesterday and 8 today, we may even get snow tomorrow.

Alan

Wow, so many galaxies in this image. I don't recall seeing strong colour in other images of this region, but the sheer scale that you have captured more than makes up for this. A wonderful finale to your imaging season. I can keep going into May, it still surprises Mrs Tomato at this time of year when I get off the sofa after the 10 o'clock news has finished to declare "I'm off out to do some imaging".  However, being retired now certainly helps.