Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New lens

TobyW

Hi All,

I have been given a Canon EF300mm F/4 L USM lens. Is this going to be any good for nebula / galaxy pics or would I better off in getting something like an Evostar 80ed?

Cheers

16 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Should be pretty good I'd have thought, there are a few example images taken with it on Astrobin. You may not need to stop it down if you focus on a star a third of the way into the frame.

Thanks for that. There are some amazing pics on that page you linked me...

I am also hearing good reviews and seeing really great pics of peeps using the Sigma lens. There was a post put up on here the other day. These can be picked up really cheap as well. I am actually looking at picking up a Evostar 72ed but seeing what people are capturing using lenses I wonder is there any point in the 72ed?

Thanks again

16 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Should be pretty good I'd have thought, there are a few example images taken with it on Astrobin. You may not need to stop it down if you focus on a star a third of the way into the frame.

I meant the Samyang NOT Sigma :)

3 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Yes, it's a great lens for AP. Here's an example HaRGB image taken with a modded DSLR.

That is just amazing.. I mean really, that looks fantastic. This is the sort of image I would like to try and get to... I have a canon 650d (soon to be modded) and a Star adventurer pro but the whole "do I go for a lens Vs Small scope such as the evostar" is really confusing me. Its the nebulae, galaxies and star clusters I am after.

Any suggestions would be really welcome

Thanks and congrats on that pic.

Toby

Thanks, glad you like it. I wanted to show what's possible with this lens and a cheap modded DSLR. (Your 650 should be a bit more sensitive than my 1100D.) The key to the image was shooting Ha through a clip-in filter and blending the nebulosity into the red channel of the RGB image. Imaging from a dark site also helped, especially with the colour image, although Ha is forgiving of light pollution and moonlight.

49 minutes ago, TobyW said:

Its the nebulae, galaxies and star clusters I am after.

For most beginners I'd recommend a fast lens over a small scope, especially when using a DSLR. Tracking is more forgiving at short focal lengths and it's easier to work around fickle UK weather with fast optics (1 hour at f2 is equivalent to 8 hours at f5.6). But other than M31 & M33 galaxies will be small at 135mm focal length.

• Like 1

I’m in the same boat as you, have a Canon, 300mm lens and a Star Adventurer and also toyed with I needed a 72ed

Having used the 300mm for a few weeks now, i do defo want the 72ed. The 300mm is ok for wider shots and have got a couple of pics of the Orion Nebula and Just about got M51, but their just not close enough for me ;) 

These are all 300mm full zoom single edited pics 

32C16B05-1CB2-42E4-B4FA-FEC34551B2CB.jpeg

864F5917-91FF-4199-A486-215BF94C3CA5.jpeg

E8E5E622-4AF8-4B06-A81E-A25DF71A1D1D.jpeg

FE6D8981-318F-46B0-9FB3-B93D907AA678.jpeg

7833AD03-D772-45B7-BCF7-D262738551B4.jpeg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Thanks, glad you like it. I wanted to show what's possible with this lens and a cheap modded DSLR. (Your 650 should be a bit more sensitive than my 1100D.) The key to the image was shooting Ha through a clip-in filter and blending the nebulosity into the red channel of the RGB image. Imaging from a dark site also helped, especially with the colour image, although Ha is forgiving of light pollution and moonlight.

For most beginners I'd recommend a fast lens over a small scope, especially when using a DSLR. Tracking is more forgiving at short focal lengths and it's easier to work around fickle UK weather with fast optics (1 hour at f2 is equivalent to 8 hours at f5.6). But other than M31 & M33 galaxies will be small at 135mm focal length.

Great info and thanks for the reply.

May I ask what would be a good filter to start with for my 650d once its modded? I live in a class 5 sky area. I am not in a city centre but there is still a fair amount of light pollution.

To be honest i'd happy with being able to get good shots of Andromeda, Crab Nebula, Horse head etc etc. I also have the advantage of travelling (when not in lockdown) with work and stay up in the lake district a fair amount. I am guessing using a lens will be that little bit more portable as well.

Any other lenses youd recommend I take a look at? Anything above 135mm?

Thanks for all your help so far..

17 minutes ago, MattGP said:

Having used the 300mm for a few weeks now, i do defo want the 72ed.

Please bear in mind, the focal length of the ED72 is only 357mm when used with the 0.85 reducer/flattener. So it wouldn't make much difference to your field of view. (Looking at the pics I guess that's a zoom lens at f5.6? I would expect an ED72 to produce much better stars and to be faster at f4.9.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MattGP said:

I’m in the same boat as you, have a Canon, 300mm lens and a Star Adventurer and also toyed with I needed a 72ed

Having used the 300mm for a few weeks now, i do defo want the 72ed. The 300mm is ok for wider shots and have got a couple of pics of the Orion Nebula and Just about got M51, but their just not close enough for me ;) 

These are all 300mm full zoom single edited pics 

32C16B05-1CB2-42E4-B4FA-FEC34551B2CB.jpeg

864F5917-91FF-4199-A486-215BF94C3CA5.jpeg

E8E5E622-4AF8-4B06-A81E-A25DF71A1D1D.jpeg

FE6D8981-318F-46B0-9FB3-B93D907AA678.jpeg

7833AD03-D772-45B7-BCF7-D262738551B4.jpeg

Hi,

The 72ed does look good and its fairly small and light and would work on the S.A well. That said, its currently £262 and then you need the flattener which is another £181. My big question was would I gain anything over and above spending the same amount on a lens?

Tricky isnt it.. Like your pics thou. I too, want to be able to get the images close as well...

Let me know what you do

Toby

18 minutes ago, TobyW said:

May I ask what would be a good filter to start with for my 650d once its modded? I live in a class 5 sky area. I am not in a city centre but there is still a fair amount of light pollution.

My Astronomik 12nm Ha filter works very well, and I've also got good results with it under light-polluted Hertfordshire skies. There are also LP filters when shooting in colour, hopefully someone else can recommend one for you.

18 minutes ago, TobyW said:

Any other lenses youd recommend I take a look at? Anything above 135mm?

I did put together a bit of a guide on budget lenses a while ago, which you might find useful. The Takumar 200mm f4 is a good AP lens but not as good as the 135mm f3.5.

This is a slight crop of M33 with the Takumar 135mm f3.5 (2 minute exposure).

spacer.png

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, TobyW said:

Hi,

The 72ed does look good and its fairly small and light and would work on the S.A well. That said, its currently £262 and then you need the flattener which is another £181. My big question was would I gain anything over and above spending the same amount on a lens?

Tricky isnt it.. Like your pics thou. I too, want to be able to get the images close as well...

Let me know what you do

Toby

Will do, the 72ed is out of stock everywhere until June at least :( So at this the moment part of me is thinking of a bigger scope and separate motorised mount - the 130pds thread looks like some pretty cool images taken - it’s just the added expense, but then once to add the flattener not too much more..:decisions decisions 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattGP said:

Will do, the 72ed is out of stock everywhere until June at least :( So at this the moment part of me is thinking of a bigger scope and separate motorised mount - the 130pds thread looks like some pretty cool images taken - it’s just the added expense, but then once to add the flattener not too much more..:decisions decisions 🤔

Haha thats what I found. Everywhere out of stock. I must admit though.  I have been watching some of Alyn Wallace's youtube vids and he has done some great work with the S.A and the Samyang 135mm F2 lens.

The 130pds is a big lump. Thats the reflector isnt it? I have a 150p version but I dont have the large motorised mount only a std EQ3. So to upgrade I'd have to go to something like a EQ3 Pro GOTO which is £400.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TobyW said:

The 130pds is a big lump. Thats the reflector isnt it? I have a 150p version but I dont have the large motorised mount only a std EQ3. So to upgrade I'd have to go to something like a EQ3 Pro GOTO which is £400.

Probably more like an HEQ5 to take the 130pds, if you want it to track accurately. (It is possible to run it on lighter, cheaper mounts but isn't really recommended as it's a recipe for frustration. Imaging is much more demanding of mounts than visual work.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Probably more like an HEQ5 to take the 130pds, if you want it to track accurately. (It is possible to run it on lighter, cheaper mounts but isn't really recommended as it's a recipe for frustration. Imaging is much more demanding of mounts than visual work.)

Ahh got you, So more like £789 from FLO then? 😬

I think for the moment (for me) I will get some practice with the S.A and try and find a Samyang lens. I think thatll give me a great starting point over and above my 150p reflector.

When picking up the lens and going this route, should I also be grabbing a dew heater band?

Cheers

Toby

3 minutes ago, TobyW said:

I think for the moment (for me) I will get some practice with the S.A and try and find a Samyang lens. I think thatll give me a great starting point over and above my 150p reflector.

When picking up the lens and going this route, should I also be grabbing a dew heater band?

I use a low-tech alternative, a thick sock with a heat pack in it held on with rubber bands.

Hope you enjoy the lens, it's a good one.

• Like 1

Just now, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I use a low-tech alternative, a thick sock with a heat pack in it held on with rubber bands.

Hope you enjoy the lens, it's a good one.

Astro-engineering I like it...

I will be sure to post up some pics once I get things up together and actually get a clear night.

Thanks and clear skies

• Like 1

On 21/04/2020 at 12:07, TobyW said:

Let me know what you do

Toby

Well, ended up finding a 72ed in stock and only a smidge more than usual shops, also got a OVL flattener for half the cost of the SW one.

All arrived today so can see what it’s like now :) Will post a pic once taken some ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattGP said:

Well, ended up finding a 72ed in stock and only a smidge more than usual shops, also got a OVL flattener for half the cost of the SW one.

All arrived today so can see what it’s like now :) Will post a pic once taken some ;) 

Nice one. I managed to find myself a lovely used William Optics Zenithstar 73ed. That sit nicely on the star adventurer.

Now trying to find a guide scope and small CCD to use with it.

Cheers

• Like 1