£500 budget for a scope, what would you buy?

Hi,

I want to upgrade my crappy Tasco newtonian for a new scope for imaging. I have an EQ5 with EQMOD and a Canon D600, with a budget of around £500-700 for a new scope and guiding setup. I was planning on the SW ED80 and an ASI 120 for guiding, but the scope seems to be out of stock everywhere.

So, the question is, what would you buy? WOuld you wait for the ED80 to come back into stock, or go with something else? possibly the Williams Optics 61?

I am aware I will need the focal reducer, but this is on the list for later in the year when funds allow.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob.

Edited by Blokeybob

I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy right now, to be honest.  Astro darkness is currently from about 10:30pm to 4am and getting shorter to the point where it pretty much disappears altogether in the UK over the next couple of months, so there's not a huge amount of practical imaging time between now and the end of August really.  Yes, you can still do it, but I don't think you should feel as though you're missing out on much if it takes a while to sort new kit out.

As Mark says, secondhand kit is definitely worth a look and 80ED OTAs do come up relatively regularly.  Buying used might also leave a bit more money in the pot for other kit, or you might get more kit for the same money (flattener/reducer included, or a better aftermarket focuser etc.)

I've no idea how well an EQ5 would perform with an 80ED plus guidescope and cameras, so that might be worth a bit of research too before you commit yourself.

James

• 3 months later...

Are imaging or visuals? Newtonian hands don't for visuals and personally imaging.. no false colours and cheap coma corrector.. slightly smaller mirror size that's what u would see with an 80mm JUST but you will get so much more light.. for visuals on nebula you want as much as possible... u could most prob get a 10 or 12 and corrector.... refractors u will need field flatterer.