NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aries Double Star Map

Here is a Map of Aries with doubles listed.

I have added a few of the doubles I have observed added at the bottom. The Map is generated by Cartes du Ceil. This is a work in progress so any feedback is appreciated :)

Cheers

Ian

11296_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hi Dan

There are several views on what constiutes a double but there is a general consensus amongst most double star observers.

The doubles can be generally split into 2 groups.

Optical doubles and Physical doubles.

Optical doubles are just line of sight. The stars look close together but are actually separated by vast distances and have very different motion in through space.

Physical doubles are also called Binaries (a term 1st coined by William Herchel) they are generally quite close together and show orbital motion.

A 3rd group is known as common proper motion pairs. These pairs don't show orbital motion but do share the same motion through space so are considered as gravitationally bound but with orbital periods in the 10's of thousands of years.

In the 100,000+ systems of the WDS only a 2100 have orbits 1100 have rectilinear elements (meaning showing different proper motion) but many more are classified as common proper motion pairs.

There are still thousands of doubles that are not known as either physical or optical.

Cheers

Ian

Mike, Mark

Thanks for the feedback.

It appears that CduC has limits on how you can present data.

I felt it looked a bit busy when I created it and you have confirmed this impression.

I'll try and tweak it some more.

Cheers

Ian

Much better, I have now printed it out and will give it a go. I have done y aries STF180, It is lovely. But I have a 6inch - 750mm focal length reflector so not too hot for doubles. SFT180 is 2mm apart with my highest power which is about x220 so I think I will be able to do your toughness grade 1's. Will try a few 2's and 3's from your chart...

MArk

Archived