NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Siril, How to get colour image?

1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Works a dream for me so much less hassle than DSS 

I'm pleased that it works for you, to me its clunky and  not in the least bit intuitive. It reminds me of Neb3 which also suffered the same fate.

Hi

All you have done is registered the light frames, hence the prefix r_. A correctly calibrated sequence reads r_pp_. Maybe you forgot to hit 'start pre-processing'?

You have not pre-processed the light frames and so they are not debayered. Please look at the correct stages for which there is also a video using the same version as yours.

I'm completely with @bottletopburly with the script idea, it's a great method after you've understood the basics. The beauty of Siril is that it put you in charge, rather than being at the mercy of the computer. Further, when you've got your stack, the post processing tools are some of the best I've used.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, paraman said:

not in the least bit intuitive

IOW, it puts you, the user, in control. You tell it what to do, rather than vica versa.

It also does totally automatic a la dss if you prefer.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi. Not pre-processed and so not debayered. Details here.

Cheers

I must have sent you the wrong file. I definitely pre-processed as I went through the process many times, and even wrote down the steps in the video

• 1.       Convert files from raw to .tif

• i.                     Set working directory to image folder

• ii.                   Add images

• iii.                 Click Convert

• 2.       Create Master Bias

• i.                     Select Sequence > Set working directory to folder with bias frames

• ii.                   Click Search Sequences > pick sequence > click Go to the stacking tab

• iii.                 Set ‘Stacking Methods’ to ‘Median’ > Set ‘Normalisation’ to ‘No normalisation’

• iv.                 Click ‘Start Stacking’

• 3.       Create Master Flat

• i.                     Select Sequence > Set working directory to folder with flat frames

• ii.                   Click Search Sequences > pick sequence > Pre-Processing

• iii.                 Use Offset > Browse > Select Master Bias

• iv.                 Click Start Processing > Stacking tab

• v.                   Set ‘Stacking Methods’ to ‘Median’ > Set ‘Normalisation’ to ‘Multiplicative’

• vi.                 Click Start Stacking

• 4.       Stack Light Frames

• i.                     Pre-Process

• a.       Select Sequence > Set working directory to folder with light frames

• b.       Click Search Sequences > pick sequence > Pre-Processing

• c.       Use Offset > Browse > Select Master Bias

• d.       Use Flat > Browse > Select Master Flat

• e.       Click Debayer FITS images before saving > Click Pre-Process

• ii.                   Register

• a.       Global Star Alignment?

• b.       Set  Algorithm to Biocubic?

• c.       Click Go Register

• iii.                 Stack

• a. Select RGB?.      
  • b . Click Stacking

• c      Set Stacking Methods to Average with Rejection

• d       Set Normalisation to No normalisation

• e.       Set Rejection to Sigma Clipping > Click Stack

6 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

sent you the wrong file

Unless you renamed it, the correct file has the form:

r_pp.xxx_stacked.fits

r registered

p pre-processed

xxx the name of the sequence of light frames

Otherwise, send a link to 3 bias, 3 flat and 3 light frames.

Cheers

29 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

Biocubic?

Yes. That's fine.

30 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

Select RGB?.

Doesn't matter. Not used in calibration or stacking. If you don't, it will just give you the three channels anyway. Choose after you have finished.

• 3 months later...

Hi Adam 🙂  Your first replier may have hit the nail on the head here, but there's a bit more to it I think.

Once Siril has finished processing files using a script it outputs the resultant processed image to a file called 'result.fits' in the currently selected folder (the ones where your lights, darks, biases and flats folders are).  If you then use the File / Open option within Siril to open that file, you can then utilise the other facilities within Siril to further process the file, such as Photometric Colour Correction and Autostretching the image, then you just do a File / Save As and change the file type to TIF, then open that file in Gimp for all of your lovely colours to shine out.  

There's a really good initial look at Siril and Gimp on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VndjG819s

Having struggled to get good results out of DeepSkyStacker and Gimp, my first few tries using Siril after watching this video resulted in much, much better final images!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2020 at 09:33, CrimsonDynamo said:

Hi Adam 🙂  Your first replier may have hit the nail on the head here, but there's a bit more to it I think.

Once Siril has finished processing files using a script it outputs the resultant processed image to a file called 'result.fits' in the currently selected folder (the ones where your lights, darks, biases and flats folders are).  If you then use the File / Open option within Siril to open that file, you can then utilise the other facilities within Siril to further process the file, such as Photometric Colour Correction and Autostretching the image, then you just do a File / Save As and change the file type to TIF, then open that file in Gimp for all of your lovely colours to shine out.  

There's a really good initial look at Siril and Gimp on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5VndjG819s

Having struggled to get good results out of DeepSkyStacker and Gimp, my first few tries using Siril after watching this video resulted in much, much better final images!

Thanks for this, I hadn't realised you could reopen and save the stacked image as a TIF within Siril. 

I revisited Siril yesterday, using the new version recently released on Windows (0.99.4). Since I'm now using a monochrome camera I stacked my Ha & Oiii data of M27 (and then figured out how to align the 2 stacks). Bit of processing in Photoshop and here's my result:

HOO with mix of Ha & Oiii as a luminance layer (SIRIL)

326929857_DumbbellNebulaSiril.thumb.jpg.5524e69b4db108b181949676810e5b37.jpg

Interestingly, during the alignment process it's flipped the image 180degree horizontally (compared to DSS) and I think colours have come out slightly better.

For comparison here's the same data stacked in DSS, 2 versions processed slightly differently in PS. Will be great to hear peoples thoughts on my DSS vs Siril versions of this image.

Straight HOO (DSS)

924168845_M27HOOCropped.thumb.jpg.a304a0042ea794a5385394b9c0902b5e.jpg

HOO with mix of Ha & Oiii in green channel and mix of Ha & Oiii as luminance (DSS)

840729586_M27050820Cropped.thumb.jpg.260211fc70792f8e116f4aa49f7ef770.jpg

I might have a go later at processing 1 or 2 of my DSLR images and see how they look (and see if I can get them to come out in colour!)

Adam