NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX Mount

1 minute ago, Beardy30 said:

Like the look of this mount as an upgrade from the SE I have - question I have is ... would my Nexstar SCT 8” fit or do I need an extra something to connect them ? 

The 8" SCT is sold with the AVX as a kit by Celestron so it will definitely fit and work.  Once fully loaded with kit the C8 is at the upper end of the mount's capacity but, depending what you intend to use it for, it will work fine.  However, don't be expecting to image with 30 minute subs at F10 as you'll probably struggle.

They're a good little mount, I still have one that I use for friends to use for visual, but if you want to use for AP using your C8 I would suggest something like a used EQ6 or similar which you can connect to using EQMOD to make life a bit easier.  However, much depends on your budget but they are all good mounts within their weight capacity.

I use an AVX with a C8 for planetary imaging and it's perfect for it. I've recently tried DSO work with it and it's a real struggle ! Stick a 300mm focal length scope on it and it's fine.

Poor example attached M1 in Ha  only managed 45 second subs (guided) had to throw about half of them away as stars very poor.

M1.png