Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FIlter Wheel Crashes Mount around Zenith - FIxes?

Hi, 

I have a problem that the FW on my new longer scope cant get past the top of the tripod legs when imaging around the zenith.

I have tried rotating the FW but it causes issues:

• I have an OAG Lodestar attached to top of filter so if I rotate 180 degreess the Lodestar crashed the mount instead of the FW
  • If I rotate less than 180 degress (say 45 degrees) I solve the crash issue but then cant balance the mount properly because the heavier FW is off centre.

Another issue is that to rotate the camera for framing I also have to rotate flattener, FW and camera - which will inevitably bring me back to a collision scenario.

This must be a common problem - just wondered how you all get around it?

Thanks

Jon

Could fitting a diagonal help?  If you could still achieve focus that is. I assume you are using a refractor of course. Although a Newtonian would not give you that problem.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Midnight_lightning said:

Thanks Ron, I think a diagonal would exacerbate the balancing issue but its an interesting suggestion and great lateral thinking :)

As to balance,  are you unable to move your OTA further forward in the dovetail, and or the tube rings.  A picture of your setup might help with further suggestions.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

I've got my FW pretty much straight up, pier extension came last night so that will give me even more clearance. So far the balance is pretty good with the FW upwards.

Got a picture you can show?

• Like 1

Warning, expensive solution lol...

I had the same problem last year but with a dual scope setup, one piggybacked on the other. I resorted to switching to a side by side arrangement (I already had the Losmandy side by side HW). This allowed me to move the larger scope & FW (SX Maxi wheel) slightly away from the mount/pier.

This helped a lot but including an alignment saddle (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/jtd-dual-rig-telescope-alignment-saddle.html) added more weight to the smaller scope side allowing me to move the FW further away. No issue now 🙂

HTH, Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

A pier extension, plus maybe a much longer dovetail (are you using one or just the foot on the ED80) to allow you to  move the scope as far forward as possible and add some extra weight on the camera end for balance

Dave

Its a new scope, GT102, and I am using the foot at the moment which I can just get balance when its mounted right at the end. I have ordered a longer dovetail which will certainly help but I don't think will solve the issue. A pier extension would certainly do it although I haven't been able to find a short one.

4 hours ago, barkis said:

As to balance,  are you unable to move your OTA further forward in the dovetail, and or the tube rings.  A picture of your setup might help with further suggestions.

Ron.

Yes, unfortunately I have moved everything as far as I can, a larger dovetail will certainly help. I cant get a photo at the moment as everything is locked up.

4 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I've got my FW pretty much straight up, pier extension came last night so that will give me even more clearance. So far the balance is pretty good with the FW upwards.

Got a picture you can show?

Ill see if I can get a photo tomorrow, I have tried it with the FW straight up but it just means my Lodestar OAG camera is straight down and just as big as the FW. If I rotate it I then cant balance the mount.

10 minutes ago, Midnight_lightning said:

just means my Lodestar OAG camera is straight down

Yup, that'll be a problem.

Just checked my setup and it looks like the extension pier will be fine.

• Like 1

Maybe one of these might suit you.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-pillar-mount-support-for-heq5-eq6-series-mounts.html

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-tri-pier-for-skywatcher--celestron-green-2526-p.asp

27 minutes ago, Midnight_lightning said:

If I could find a 4" version it would be perfect.

I could always cut one in half for you, either 4" or 6".

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, the SW pier is interesting, its hard to know whether it would be more or less stable than the tripod but would certainly fix the issue and the wheels would be a plus. Chopping an extension is a good idea too - thanks for the offer. Think I will get the new dovetail fitted and then see what I still need resolve. 

• Like 1