Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.



Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

94 Excellent

About Midnight_lightning

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Location
  1. Midnight_lightning

    M31 Andromeda

    Great, thanks Peter I think I can do that. Star Tools will let me do all the usual development, decon etc and also remove the stars. I have done some (complete novice) HST with Affinity and I was able to set each layer to RGB so I think this is very similar. Thanks for the help, much appreciated - will post the outcome if the clouds ever clear Jon
  2. Midnight_lightning

    M31 Andromeda

    Thanks Peter. Does anyone know how I could add some Ha in, I'm a bit out of my depth with this? I use Star Tools and Affinity Photo for post processing, could I some how process the Ha separately in Star Tools and then add it to the image as another layer? Thanks Jon
  3. Midnight_lightning

    M31 Andromeda

    Thanks for the replies
  4. Midnight_lightning

    M31 Andromeda

    Thanks for the kind comments. Any views on how to improve?
  5. Midnight_lightning

    M31 Andromeda

    This is the first time I have revisited M31 since swapping my D750 for an SX814 and the results are quite different. LRGB with around 65 x 5 minute lights, I took 20 of each but lost quite a few, mainly Reds as a haze moved in without me noticing. The processing is my usual heavy handed approach but I would like to try and build on this with a couple more nights of exposures and would be interested in any feedback on how best to do this. So, I am wondering do I just take more 5 min lights, perhaps add some longer exposures (10 mins?) or maybe add some Ha. I haven't tried LHaRGB yet but it would be great to see some areas of nebulosity within the dust lanes. All suggestions welcome. Thanks for looking.
  6. Midnight_lightning

    SH2-101 Cygnus X-1

    Very nice, I would be interested to know how you got the reds out of bi-colour lights - when I try this the image usually comes out in shades of gold?
  7. Midnight_lightning

    IC1805 - First HST Attempt

    I agree entirely about the filter wheel, I only bought 5 position and would say it’s the only part of my rig that I got wrong. Should have got 7 position. That said I am going to experiment with bicolour NB which means I can keep RGBHaOiii in my FW. Check out what Steve Cannistra has achieved with bicolour using a synthetic SII layer ? I only used the Star Tools Wipe, Develop and Heal modules for this one, all the colour work was done in Affinity. That said, I rate ST very highly and when I do RGB that’s usually all I use. It’s a doddle to use on defaults but does indeed have a lot of depth when you get into it. Try this In the colour module - generate star mask, go into Colour and keep mask. Click sample then Mask. Clear and invert mask and Keep. For most RGB this gives an excellent starting point. Cap green to yellow also works wonders. Thanks for the comments - NB rocks, good luck.
  8. Midnight_lightning

    IC1805 - First HST Attempt

    Thanks for the feedback - seems like I am making some progress.
  9. Midnight_lightning

    IC1805 - First HST Attempt

    And another attempt..... I'm finding HST processing a real challenge but the tools in Affinity are much better than Elements and I think I am learning (slowly). Does anyone know how to do star reduction in Affinity? Thanks Jon
  10. Midnight_lightning


    Thanks Peter, the blue helps, I will probably reprocess more fully when I get chance. I'm really impressed with Affinity, there was no way I would subscribe to PS at the price they charge but this is excellent and 16 bit, plus the tutorial videos are outstanding.
  11. Midnight_lightning


    Grabbed a couple of hours on Friday night to take 7 x 300s of RGB each. M51 is on the small side for my rig so this is quite a heavy crop, I have included the original for reference. Stacked and Registered in APP, Processed in Star Tools and finished in Affinity (I just discovered Affinity - what a find!!!! Under £50 for perpetual license and as far as I'm concerned better and easier that Photoshop - I just need to learn it ).
  12. Midnight_lightning

    Markarian's Chain

    Thanks for the positive feedback, it could have done with more subs but I'm quite happy for a first attempt.
  13. Midnight_lightning

    Markarian's Chain

    I took these on 20th April but had lots of Gremlins, and it didn't help trying to Plate Solve with the Ha filter instead of Red - that took half an hour to dawn on me, so another fairly short session. Just 8x300s of RGB each. Markarian's Chain Crop2.tif
  14. Midnight_lightning

    M3 RGB

    The Skies cleared briefly in mid-April, first time since early February, so thought I would have a go at a cluster. I haven't tried before because they are on the small side for my outfit but at least it allowed me to keep my hand in and to remember some things I'd forgotten since February. Just 7 x 180s each of RGB M3 v2 Crop1.tif
  15. Midnight_lightning



Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.