NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

132 Apo & C11 combo on AZ-EQ6 GT

Hi

I have a 132 Apo on az-eq 6 which I’m pleased with, however have got aperture fever and really want to see more of the feint fuzzies, Dso’s Galaxies , etc.

I am considering a Celestron C11 ota to use along side my Apo on the az-eq6 in alt-az for visual only on the C11.

Payload weights for az-eq6 for visual use is advised by Flo as 25kg max.

My Apo is 9kg add about 2kg for eyepieces and accessories plus C11 12.5kg  plus accessories would bring total weight very close to maximum weight advised.

Firstly would appreciate some seasoned advice wether the 132 Apo and C11 are a good combination to observer the hard to see galaxies and nebulas?

And secondly am I pushing the boat too far in  thinking of using the 132mm Apo and C11 on the az-eq6 Mount with total weight being at maximum weight advised for visual observing.?

Thanks

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

To answer your last question then the attached photo should help. That’s an ED150 and a C 9.25 easily dealt with in Alt AZ mode.

IMG_0507.JPG.74442f7e715729262756917769341bbf.JPG

Looks a great combination you have there on the az-eq6!

My considered combination is quite similar, but just checked weights your ota and Ed 150 weigh in around 18kg plus accessories thereafter would result in a total weight of around 21 to 22kg the c11 is 3.5 kg heavier than the c9.25.

My overall weight is likely to be around the 25kg advised limit, will this make a difference?

Maybe I should go with the C 9.25 if it will show enough of the Dso’s.

I think the load capacity is per side for the mount in AZ mode, as it doesn’t include the counterweights. I used a 20kg 6” ED refractor alongside a C8 Edge quite happily on mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

That info Stu changes things completely !!

If that is correct the payload is 25 kg each side, in alt- az mode it’s now possible to consider an ota even larger than the C11??

It would be worth getting someone to confirm this. I always assumed it was the case and it worked fine for me, but I just checked and found reference to 9kg per side which seems very low.

I would be careful on putting to much weight on the mount, better to edge on the side of caution. Otherwise you may damage an expensive mount,or at worse have a load of expensive kit on the ground if a serious failure occurs

What sort of Sky's do you have where you live?

Are you in a dark site area or light polluted skys

As that is going to take a lot of setting up/balancing by yourself on an AZ  ,if you need to travel. 

The best requirements for faint fuzzies, if that's your primary goal is "Dark Sky's" and as much aperture as you can manage.

How about some type of quality ulta compact Dob in around the 18"   Would make a manageable and great DSO hunter , 

Well as I describe in other threads the views of some DSOs through the two scopes pictured are very similar. The larger aperture of the SCT is counterbalanced by a better resolution in the refractor. Another issue with SCTs is the narrow field of view. If you have dark skies I would say you aperture fever will only be solved by a large Dob!

55 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just thought that @Captain Magenta uses his AZ-EQ6 with a 12” Skywatcher newt in one side (approx 20kg plus I think) but I can’t recall which scope on the other side, possibly a Mak 180.

They are certainly very solid and capable mounts.

Yes indeed, it seems to handle the 20-odd kg 300p newt plus accessories quite readily in alt-az mode. And if another scope is being used on the other side, it’s effectively doing duty as a counterweight, so doesn’t count as payload.

Although the instructions advise against using counterweights AND second scope on the bar, that’s just to avoid a situation where you’ve not tightened the weights on enough and they slip down the bar taking the second scope off with it. Just be sure to make the weights secure.

see the pic, the second scope here is a 6” Intes Mak, but I have had my Mak 180 there too in the past, see 2nd pic.

... and I’ve added a screenshot of FLO’s spec page for the mount, which states 18kg for AP and 25kg payload for visual.

7AF1877C-58CA-4567-8EDE-37F8A389F341.jpeg

83D80F9E-AE67-40E4-8A37-85F383844083.jpeg

C5245919-3E66-4F5B-9205-1A219B521AC2.png

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although the instructions advise against using counterweights AND second scope on the bar, that’s just to avoid a situation where you’ve not tightened the weights on enough and they slip down the bar taking the second scope off with it. Just be sure to make the weights secure.

Yes the manual explicitly states not to use a second telescope on the extension bar.

it seems from user’s experience with the mount an C11 or a Meade 12” in alt-az should not be an overburdened for the mount.

Thanks for all the reply’s.

image.thumb.jpg.f8e0b89f2f942a2015ed73419d4223bc.jpgWhat sort of Sky's do you have where you live?

Are you in a dark site area or light polluted skys

I live in a rural area in Ireland Bortle 4 sky’s.

Had no intention of driving to set up, wheel out of garage.

I just found these old pics of my Vixen 150ED and C8 Edge on the AZ-EQ6. I did use a Meade Giant tripod time give it a bit more stability. I guess a Berlebach Planet would do as good a job.

8788368D-C1E2-4599-9CB8-7E09D23B2425.jpeg

0706CE37-09C4-4902-9FED-03E183FB2F5E.jpeg

C1C2EF35-1A26-441D-8889-6CA21B221B8E.jpeg